Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cove

Strategy for post high pressure / cold front this week end

3 posts in this topic

Looks like we have a high pressure system pushing through on Friday dropping temps to a high of around zero Friday. Quick warm up Saturday but how long does it take for fish to recover?

If this was June and I was bass fishing I'd be discouraged about Saturday but what happens with the area panfish this time of year when we get a front like this? Should a guy wait till Sunday? Or head out Sat and hope the fishing isn't affected too much?

It never hurts to get out there and see what the mood of the fish is, but in my past experiences, I have had better luck when longer the weather is consistent. Now wether it is consistently bad, or good didn't seem to matter. So that would mean that sunday SHOULD be better, but you never know for sure, you just gotta get out there and try it, sure beats what I will be doing this weekend, working.

Well, I answered my own question. The fish were biting pretty well. I went to an nearby reservoir...one noted for a long walk and lots of little fish. Both were still true.

Barometer was falling all day. The cold temps yesterday gave way to 26 by mid afternoon and was clear sky. We set up in 16-18 foot range off the steep shoreline near to the entry point…perhaps 150 yards away. Started fishing at 3:40 and lots of action then slowed down some. I caught about 2 dozen fish, all sunnies except a yellow bullhead! Small jig better than larger. Red or natural, eurolarva or waxie, all about the same. Son in law caught some small crappies. We deliberately stayed until dark, fished until about 6:45, to see what crappie action was. Nothing to get excited about.

Overall a fun afternoon.