Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Redbeard5289

Fox Lake -need info

6 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone!

My brother is taking me out to Fox Lake this weekend. Anyone been out there this season? Where have the panfish and walleye's been hanging out? What rigs are the best to use for them? When is the bite happening?

I live near Rochester and hate to make the journey up there and get skunked...

Any help would be appreciative.

Thanks,

Redbeard5289

Check the SW Fourum, there is some info on Fox

You are talking about the one by Faribo, correct?

I have not heard alot about that lake this year, but the people that fish it are almost tighter lipped than the fish. LOL

This lake has it moments, if I was going to try to fish it, I would head straight across the lake and fish the drop off on the NE side of the lake out from the gravel bar.

There is another spot only about 200 yards out that a rock finger comes off shore, kinda hard to locate in the winter, unless you want to drill alot of holes, it is on the right side leaving the access.

Yup, the one by Faribo, Rippinlip.

Thanks for the head up...my brother's boss lives out that way and wants to give that lake a go around on Saturday. I myself have never been out there so I was just curious if anyone else has been and had some advice.

Thanks for the 411

Hey Red,

Did you ever make it out there, if you did, how did you do.

I need to make a change in lakes, was going to try this one next and see if I could get some Perch to bite.

Rippinlip,

I have had better days ;-) The outing did prove the old adage "Never let anyone else pack your parachute" ha ha ha Its too funny not to tell the story.

My brother's boss lent us his truck that had the portable flip-up shelter, the heater, flashers, and the ice auger still in for his last outing. Told us everything was in there and have a nice time. So my brother and I grabbed out poles & jigs and headed off in the morning. Stopped in Northfield for a quick breakfast at McD and to get some minnows. While in the back of the truck rummaging around fo the bait pail my brother notice that the 20lb propane tank was not back there. No biggie, headed back to his place to pick up a tank after we get bait. Got back to his place and spent 20min searching for a tank with some gas still in it. Loaded back up again and off to Fox to fish. Got to the lake and opened the back and pulled the ice auger out only to find it had an empty tank and no gas can was in the back to fill it up. Back to my brother's place to find a gas can, finally found one but no gas...back to Northfield to get gas & oil for the ice auger. Heading out to Fox again and finally ready to fish. Holes drilled, portable set up, and all ready to go...or until my brother turned on his flasher and found the battery completely drained. Lucky there was a spare one in the truck that he could use. I think we spent a better part of 2 hours sat morning searching and running back and forth to Northfield. So now I know...check everything out with your own eyes before setting out. It's easier in the long run and saves time. Looking back it was so comical I was sure I was in an old Laurel and Hardy short. ha ha ha

We tried 4 different locations on the ice and couldn't get anything to bite at all. Thre were about 15-20 perms out there and about 5 portables. Little after 1pm we called it quits and head into town for bite to eat. My brother was going out in the evening to try his luck but I called it quits and headed home to spend time with the family. Don't know if my brother caught anything that evening will call him tonight and see how it went.

If the weather and wife be willing I would like to take another crack at Fox Lake before the ice gets out. we'll see.

Wish i had better news to tell you...