Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Loves-Fishing-Guy

Best Leadcore Short rods

11 posts in this topic

I'm looking for any suggestions on a good leadcore short rod, for when I'm trolling four lines. Thanks

I usually run lead on 8.5 to 9.5 foot rods, but have also run it on a 6.5 foot e-glass rod for crankbaits, and a 7 foot Med action graphite casting rod. Both of those worked fine.

A buddy has a shorty rod made by St. Croix, I'm generally a big fan of St. Croix but I just don't care for that rod ---- reminds me of a pool-cue-like jerkbait rod for muskies.

I don't know of anyone using short rods for leadcore. From what I have used even a med action 7'5" it still pulled their face off at 1.8 mph even with mono leader. If you use a shorty you would want as light as you can get. In my opinion. Unless you are trolling really slow.

Scheels makes a great 5' shorty lead rod. i have pulled in 6 pounders with it and it works great. also works well with fireline and mono also.

Just run normal length 7 to 8 foot rods straight back or at a slight angle instead of doing the 5 footers. I would suggest going 10 to 12 footers for your outside rods. I find that works better than the 5 footers.

Dan Jochum

NPAA #269

Geez...how many rods do you have MLG? ;\)grin.gif

If you like to hold a rod in your hand while trolling the 5' is way easier to hang onto for long periods of time than a longer rod.

Im sure the ugly sticks come in short versions,checkem out .

I've got into trolling in the last few years so I have experimented with a bunch of different rods. I agree the 5 footers work good if you want to hand hold the rod instead of using a holder.

I do know that Bass Pro is coming out with P/K 5 foot trolling rods soon and Cabelas just came out with 5 foot trolling rods for about $39. The Scheels 5 footers are nice but they are not cheap.

Dan Jochum

NPAA #269

Thanks for the input I'll have to head over to Scheels to pickup a couple shorties.

In my opinion, the shorty rods are the bomb. Short rod with all the action of the bigger rods. I'm doing a seminar at Sportsmans Wharehouse on Sunday in Fargo, 2pm. It'll be on leadcore, and I'll have one of the prototype shorty rods there. It was made by Roger Wilson, for Jim Carroll and Johnnie Candle. The Scheels rods were made from this one.