Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
IBTanin

Where to go Ice fishing?

IBTanin    0
IBTanin

I will be in duluth for the MOMA state pool tourny 22-24th and would like to get in a little hard water action that is close and does not require a 10 foot auger! lol Looking for mostly panfish but anything will do. Any suggestions?

Thanks fo rany info!

Chris

duluthdangler    1
duluthdangler

We'll see if everyone agrees but I think your best bet close to Duluth is going to be trying for some crappies on Fish Lake. Usually it is pretty easy on the weekends to find out where people are fishing, otherwise get a lake map and try to find a spot yourself. Pike Lake and Caribou Lake are close by and produce, but I've never been able to consistently catch anything with any size.

IBTanin    0
IBTanin

I was looking at a map and was wondering about spirit lake? Any info on that one? Thanks I will look into fish lake, name sounds promising! lol

IBTanin    0
IBTanin

helloooo? anybody else out there have suggestions? Not looking for honey holes just some lakes to try...

Doerf    0
Doerf

I hear Fish lake has been doing well, but there's been quite a few people out there for some time now... I've been going to Pike lake frequently, where there is less of a crowd, and consistently catching crappies weighing in at around a pound. If you look at a map of the lake it isn't hard to find a spot to set up shop. Good luck.

bobbersup!    0
bobbersup!

hello, first post, but have been checking the site outfor a couple years. just bought my own computer finally. as for fishing around the duluth area it depends on whether you want to go for numbers or size you probably have a better chance at more crappies on fish,but last year i had some pretty good days on boulder and most are real nice keepers some are even bona fide slabs. dont know if there catchin them this year tried a couple weeks ago but only got 4 nice ones . been hitting chequamegon since so dont know if theyre biting as of lately.on boulder same thing goes youll see where there fishing there usually a couple permanents around there but you could get a map on lake finder and look for the deep holes and start there. good luck

Steve Foss    0
Steve Foss

IBT, give it some time and you'll get more responses. Lots of helpful folks in here. grin.gifgrin.gif

And COOL to see all you new posters! Welcome to bobbersup, Doerf and duluthdangler. Great to see you in here. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

IBTanin    0
IBTanin

It is only a week and half away need to plan it out!!! lol

tearin' lips    0
tearin' lips

OMG settedown IB!

As the others guys said fish is a good lake, it isn't hard to find a spot that will give you some action on most days.

Boulder is alright, the key here is to wear yourself out drilling holes in the basin. Action of the crappies have been really, really slow here in comparison to last year.

Carbiou and Pike are alright, but I haven't been able to find consistency with decent sized fish on either of these lakes.

Basically take a peek at the map, talk to some of the locals at the baitshops or hi-banks resort on fish lake and they will get you pointed in the right direction.

Surface Tension    265
Surface Tension

Fish lake would be a good choice. Haven't been out there since travel got easy. Now that you can drive just about anywhere(stay away from the damm and bridge)its been a very busy place.

Afternoon is a good time just like anywhere. Crappies and Gills is whats going. Crappies and eyes 1/16th oz Go Devils tipped with half a minnow If your into Gills make that waxie instead of half a minnow, crappies like waxies too,

Depths, if you look at a lake map you might think the deep holes would be a good place to start. Breaking shorelines have been even better. Say 15' of water on those breaks. If sundown is upon you and your not getting crappies you better move.

Like I said its gotten busy out there so some areas aren't too hard to find. You can access the lake from Hi-Banks resort. When you go into pay the road fee you could ask Tim for a tip or two.

Jack Stasney    7
Jack Stasney

Fish Lake, no doubt about it. You can fish right off of the public access, or bring your truck and its safe to drive around, since you don't know the lake I'd stick around others and for goodeness sake stay away from the dam. eek.gif

IBTanin    0
IBTanin

Great thanks for the help! Looks like Fish lake is the place to go.

Northlander    72
Northlander

IB you need to relax man. YOu will get good info in time. Actually you have already got very good info.

Spirit Lake probably isnt doable for you because you dont know the river very much I assume.

I would stick with Wild Rice, Pike, Fish or the Bay on the St. Louis River. All are either drivable or have some fishy waters within a easy pull.

Get a Sportsmans Connectio map book and check them all out.

Like said if your here on a weekend you will see where people fish. Just give people room and please.

Doerf    0
Doerf

Thanks catfish.

I set up on Pike with my buddies shorty after my last post and had by far the best day out this year. It was ridiculous how many fish we caught in such a short amount of time. I don't normally keep so many, but we were planning a fish fry to feed quite a few people. I don't know how to put a picture in a post, but this is them...

FishOn!    0
FishOn!

You said you were with one buddy???

longcaster    0
longcaster

I'd read the regs and change your story

Doerf    0
Doerf

26 fish... 3 people. the two picture were of the same fish. 4 under the limit. sorry for the confusion and thanks for the concern.

fishinfey8    0
fishinfey8

I think pike lake or caribou might be your best bet. They are quite a bit closer to duluth than fish lake, and they aren't so big so it seems to make it easier to find fish... i don't know if anyones been catching anything on cariobou though...

IBTanin    0
IBTanin

That sounds better and closer, thanks!

Northlander    72
Northlander

If its close your looking for drive down over the lift bridge and hit the bay. You will see the houses. Lots of people driving out there with anything from Crown Vics to full size trucks. People are still walking and its a pretty easy pull. Fishing has been fair to good at times. Hit the channel edge and you should at least get a sturgion or 2.

You can e-mail me if ya need more info on the bay.