Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goggy eyes

wave wackers

16 posts in this topic

Thinking of putting wave wackers on my boat. Likes- Dislikes

what kind of boat? If you do any backtrolling, you will be very pleased with them, just make sure they fit your boat well. 85% of my fishing is back trolling, and I wouldn't even think about not having them.

I love mine!! Easy to install and they come off fairly easy if you ever need too. Good product!!

If your fishing big or small water and do a lot of back trolling i would get them.Me i troll alot and lets just say with out them you would be getting wet back trolling.And like stated above make sure they fit good on your boat. cool.gif

Do they ever get in the way. Skies and eyes I have a alumacraft 195 tournament pro.

They are the best thing since sliced bread. I would never own a boat without them. I have never had them get in the way.

Love them! I have a set on my lund and Have never had isssues landing fish etc. Easy to put on and take off also if needs be.

Definately nice to have for backtrolling, have a set on my lund also and can't imagine what it'd be like with out em!!

I LOVE my WhiteCaps

What does a set of WW go for? The WhiteCaps for my boat would be $206, which isn't too bad.

i paid $400 last fall for new walleye master gaurds for a tiller w/115, 9.9 & vantage on the stern.

regards,

minnesotatuff

got a lund 20 foot boat with an 8hp kicker... never used wave wackers in my life and i do just fine catching the hogs of summer...... the only time wave wackers are necessary are when your a tilling troller..... all those other guys put thedm on for looks..... boats are meant to get wet....

splash guards are not just for looks. they are there to keep water out of your boat. they are needed on wheel boats just the same as a tiller if you back troll. 2 waves back to back over the transom can swamp a 20 foot boat easy. last year there were 2 boats that capsized here on lake mille lacs. i back troll about 15% to 25% of my open water fishing and would not have a boat without them. there are 3 major brands that i would look at, wave wackers, which is what i have, whitecaps, and walleye masters. mine don't get in the way of anything.........tom fellegy

I don't have them and any wind when backtrolling results in water in my boat. Sounds like I'll be ordering them. Thanks for the advice.

I have the wave wackers on a 16' Smokercraft tiller. I can backtroll or sit on a spot that larger boats with big electrics get blown off of. Love to backtroll when it gets rough.

you should always have wave wackers on your boat there are to perfect they work amazing i no the guys that run the shop great guys

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• MedicineMan
      Went out Thursday for a few hours. Caught a 28" Walleye along with a handful of nice sized Bass.
    • knoppers
      thanks for the report.
    • JBMasterAngler
    • JBMasterAngler
      Just got back from our 34th annual Grand Marais trip. Weather, and how bad it was, was the theme. At one point or another, it rained every single day we were there! The wind was miserable he last couple days as well. Really affected our fishing plans, as we had to cancel out on some of our normal lakes, and fish some less than desirable backup lakes.   As per tradition, we left in the middle of the night and pulled up to the Lester River just a few minutes before sunrise. Didn't catch anything there. Also got skunked at the Talmadge and French rivers. I got free admission at Tom's logging camp on account it was Father's Day  and as always, kids had fun feeding the animals. I did catch a few little rainbows out of sucker, knife, and Stewart rivers. Had our traditional "fisherman's breakfast" at McDonalds in Two Harbors. We stopped at the silver creek tunnel, and that was the first time I've been at the overlook since it was actually part of the highway back in '94. We rolled into Grand Marais at about 3:30 and had to wait out a rain storm before putting the boat out on Kimball Lake. We lost several trout, and in the end, only my 6 year old son caught 2 rainbows.   Monday we fished Greenwood Lake, and as was the case with my 2 older kids, my 3 year old daughter caught her very first fish here...a smallmouth bass! Between all of us, we caught about 130 bass, all of which were pretty small. Unfortunately no lake trout. However, a big surprise occurred...while casting for bass, I caught a herring! Then a few minutes later, my son caught one also! Never would have guessed I'd ever catch one in the summer, let alone 2!   Fished a "secret lake" on Tuesday and caught quite a few northerns. They were all either 5 pounds, or 6 inches long, nothing in between. My son caught an 8 pound, 33 incher, which ended up being the biggest fish of the trip. We was screaming, and excited, and wanted me to take his fishing pole. But after about 10 minutes he finally got it in so I could net it. He's still bragging about it. My 3 year old also caught her 2nd ever fish, a perch, which ended up being the only one of the trip.   Went up to Saganaga on Wednesday. I spent I don't know how many hours trying to catch lake trout, but didn't find any!  Finally gave up and ventured deep into red rock bay for the first time ever. Really nice back there, wish I would've went there first. Fishing was ok, considering the weather was starting to get bad. Caught the biggest bass of the trip, a hair over 18 inches. On the drive back we seen a bear. Ironically it was walking down the road to black bear lodge at Poplar Lake.   Biggest disappointment came on Thursday. The plan was to fish both Hungry Jack and West Bearskin lakes. The wind was terrible, and coming straight from the west. Had hungry jack not had the reputation as a big bass producer, I wouldn't have went here. Unfortunately the big bass weren't around, nor any bass for that matter. Only caught 4 small bass. Kids caught about a dozen or so sunnies from the dock at the resort, some of which were decent size. We didn't even bother with bearskin. There's no way we would be able to launch our boats in that wind. We went to Loon Lake instead. In the limited time we were there, we caught about 30 tiny bass. My 9 year old daughter also caught her first rock bass. I tried for lakers, and marked a lot of them, but didn't catch any.    So since we didn't fish West Bearskin as planned, we penciled it in for Friday. Knowing the weather was going to be bad, we picked Poplar Lake as our backup. I drove up to Mayhew Lake to start, because I wanted to check out the launch. I was able to get my boat down the launch, but it was a real tight fit. Nice little lake. We saw a mommy moose with 2 babies laying right on the shoreline. I got sick of trolling, so I decided to cast cranks along the drop offs of the one small stretch of shoreline that was out of the wind (relatively speaking). Hooked into a big fish! Got excited because I thought I finally had a lake trout! It was a northern!  never thought I'd be disappointed in catching a 5.5 pound pike, but that's what I was. Didn't bother going to Bearskin, as I knew the wind was too bad again. Went to Poplar, which is a lake I do not like! As is typical, the fishing was no good! He weather was bi polar! It would be bright and sunny, then rain for 20 minutes. Did that the whole rest of the day! Only caught 1 little pike and  1 little bass. Got excited for a minute, as whitefish started surfacing around my boat in the evening. I was hoping I could catch 1 or 2, but nope!    Saturday we were supposed to fish Two Island for a few hours before going home. But it was pouring rain. We didn't even bother driving around to different boat launches. So the trip ended on a sour note, but we still had lots of fun, seen a moose, had our donuts (I highly recommend the bacon maple longjohn by the way), and went to Sven & Ole's. I was going to go camping in Ely in July, but I think we'll come back to Grand Marais instead, and try to make up for what we missed out on due to the weather. IMG_6122.MOV
    • CaptJohnWis
      I have not been on Rainy much as of late. On June 12, I got 75 walleyes in about 6-8 FOW. On. June 15 (Sanctuary opener) I hit Stangi for several hours and only got four fish. June 17, got 20 fish in about five hours - mostly walleyes on a weed edge in about 8 feet of water. Many on jig with Lunker CIty trailers. Also some good ones on a feather jig. Bass were few and far between. Plus some pike but nothing huge. Biggest walleyes 24-25". Bass 18", pike 29". View my fishing report to see videos of lures that were working.   I did mark lots of fish in deeper water but they were dink walleyes so I did not fish them for long.The dinks are actually harder to catch on lures than bigger ones. They respond better to live bait which I don't use.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      We had a good bite on 1/2 crawlers today! Boated 45 walleyes and kept our limits of fish that were all between 15-1/2" and 19-3/4 "! Released at least 6 slot fish. Largest was a fat 25-1/2 inch fish. Best over all sized fish limit all summer! The walleyes were stuffed with either May fly nymphs or molted crayfish.  
    • Michael Felix
    • Michael Felix
      I've fished the hex hatch many times. In wisconsin.The hexs are out at my lakevplace in grand rapids Mn.  its usually a little later on the river. So this weekend into next week and the following week ought to be good. Late in the evening.. like  9:30 on...  I haven't been to the straight for years... I wish you'd let me know how it goes... 
    • Troy Smutka
      6/24/17     Got out on Washington this morning to target walleyes. Cold and windy! Busy today--a bass tournament going on. We fished several spots with leeches under a slip float for eyes. Only caught one small one, and missed a couple bites that might have been walleyes. Did catch several medium to large smallies and one largemouth. Got off the lake about 10:00 as we saw the first wave of rain approaching. Not interested in fishing cold, wind-driven rain. Guess mother nature doesn't always look at the calendar, which said summer started this week. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • ZachD
      wrap a bungee around it