• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SMOKE CITY 50+Yards

David Kasten

Last season i went out 1 time, the first sunday of the season and we called several toms in. I finally saw my bird. A HUGE TOM, well worth of the "wall". I took my only shot 53 yards away bird facing staright towards me. I buried my arrow [PoorWordUsage] near threw the turkey right into the breast bone. The bird took off running so i chased it, after half a mile threw the timber we hit an open field and turkey flew away? No sign of the bird, whatsoever ANY THOUGHTS?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

That's a long poke with any tueky killing tool. The vitals on a turkey are only about the size of a softball. Pair that with how tough they are to kill.

Too Bad about your losing the bird. Unfortunately long shots lead to to that more time than not.

My only advice is to be a bit more patient and call them in closer.

I saw a guy drill a turk a ten yards right in the vitals. It took off running and he chased it then it flew away searched all day never found it. So it happens. I say if you practice 50 yards and shoot tight groups then take the shot. I'v seen birds killed at 60 yards and at 53 yards. I've also seen them missed at 5 - 10 yards. Its all up to the shooter. It comes to what was your arrow set up how big was your broadhead and what was the poundage on your bow. Broad head being most important bigger cutting area the better. Borch is right try to be more patient I can shoot very well at 50 yards but I am a awsome shot a 30 yards and the closer the better. I like to keep me 50 yard shots for a last resort.

I won't start the long-range shooting debate... to each his own on that one, but 53 yards is too far with archery tackle grin.gif. I think where you went wrong is chasing after the bird. First off you're never going to catch a running turkey and second of all, if they're hurting bad enough - they'll usually find the closest brush pile, etc and try and hide. Give them time. If I hit a bird and I clearly see it run off... I give it a minimum of an hour and a half and then slowly follow blood with an arrow nocked if terrain allows. Granted, turks don't bleed all that much but if you're patient enough you can follow 'em. I also had a bird die in mid-flight once. Took to the air after the shot over a corn field and folded up like a goose some 200 yds away. And some shots just aren't fatal pure and simple... that bird could still be out there.

I dont know man, im not robin hood but i wouldnt be shooting at a bird at 50 yards if i didnt feel comfortable in knowing i'd hit it. Normally wouldnt have shot like this at a bird but wed been after this bird all morning , never seen it before then and didnt know if wed see it after then. This arrow was absolutely perfect, best way to explain it is look at a turkey head on 4 inches below the neck and center left-right. my arrow went all the way to the knock. And obviously you have never tracked a turkey? lol. As for the range comments, if you practice enough and cant make the shots theres no reason not to take the longer shots as long as everything is right (wind,elevation,how loud your bow is,etc) I have personally seen a guy shoot and kill a whitetail at 70, antelopes out to 90 and elk almost as far.. To many people make excuses about shooting far is ridiculous. Im not saying you should be taking ever long shot you get but if you know and trust your limits you should do fine.

By the sounds of your hit, if the bird was leaning fwd at all, you probably just shot through the breast meat. Hopefully you will get a crack at him again.

Just to stir things a bit, I agree 50 yards is too far with a bow. Turkeys never stand still long enough for that to be high percentage shot no matter how good your shooting skills. IMHO

Originally Posted By: Dckasten
I dont know man, im not robin hood but i wouldnt be shooting at a bird at 50 yards if i didnt feel comfortable in knowing i'd hit it. Normally wouldnt have shot like this at a bird but wed been after this bird all morning , never seen it before then and didnt know if wed see it after then. This arrow was absolutely perfect, best way to explain it is look at a turkey head on 4 inches below the neck and center left-right. my arrow went all the way to the knock. And obviously you have never tracked a turkey? lol. As for the range comments, if you practice enough and cant make the shots theres no reason not to take the longer shots as long as everything is right (wind,elevation,how loud your bow is,etc) I have personally seen a guy shoot and kill a whitetail at 70, antelopes out to 90 and elk almost as far.. To many people make excuses about shooting far is ridiculous. Im not saying you should be taking ever long shot you get but if you know and trust your limits you should do fine.

I know many archers that can hit a turkey 3D target at 50+ yards, few that can consistently hit a live turkey at 50+ yards, and absolutely no one that can consistently hit the vitals (clean kill) at that range given all of the variables that so heavily factor into any given hunting situation. These include, but are not limited to: wind, movement of the bird (perhaps the biggest variable at that range), cover/blind interference, bow-sound, movement of the shooter, and a mile-long list of other uncontrollable circumstances that make it a bad idea to try and kill birds at ranges beyond 30 yards.

I do agree about knowing and trusting your limits, but one has to understand that these limits are formed under ideal conditions, typically at 3D ranges and/or indoor shooting facilities. Hunting conditions, by default are the antithesis of ideal. Even if your practice includes a yearly bow-tour of several turkey hunting states with 10 plus birds to your credit each year, you still get a practice set of only 10 shots, maybe 20......once per year.

I truly mean not to be inciteful, or even preachy, but most likely you lost that bird because you took too long of a shot. You could break it down into the specifics we discussed, but all boil down to passing until an ethical shot presents itself. It's up to you to determine what is ethical, and what is not, but IMO, you've demonstrated to yourself that 50 yards is much too far.

Joel

I learned my lesson, everybody does it at one time or another. Show me a guy that has never taken a poor shot or rushed one and i will call him a liar.lol

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

There are two catagories of turkeu hunters. Ones who have missed and turkey and those who arte gonna miss a turkey. We all make mistakes. What we advocate for is trying to do what we can to minimize those mistakes by practicing a lot and waiting for high percentage shots.

Doesn't mean that we won't miss though. \:\(

Originally Posted By: sticknstring
I won't start the long-range shooting debate... to each his own on that one, but 53 yards is too far with archery tackle grin.gif. I think where you went wrong is chasing after the bird. First off you're never going to catch a running turkey and second of all, if they're hurting bad enough - they'll usually find the closest brush pile, etc and try and hide. Give them time. If I hit a bird and I clearly see it run off... I give it a minimum of an hour and a half and then slowly follow blood with an arrow nocked if terrain allows. Granted, turks don't bleed all that much but if you're patient enough you can follow 'em. I also had a bird die in mid-flight once. Took to the air after the shot over a corn field and folded up like a goose some 200 yds away. And some shots just aren't fatal pure and simple... that bird could still be out there.

Quick question...could you bring your dog out to the field after the shot to help recover a bird??

I do not believe a dog in the field would be legal if you are in possession of a weapon and actually hunting turkeys.

Now if you took your dog for a walk and .... fuzzy area of the law vs. ethical responsibilty of finding wounded / dead game.

fuzzy ... means fines and tickets if the warden has that intention to do so

Haha..ya that is a good item for debate. What is ethical is not always legal, and what is legal is not always ethical. I would just urge anyone taking their dog for a walk ;\) to go in unarmed.