Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ice Ranger

Lake Watab?

7 posts in this topic

Any of you folks familiar with this lake? What's it best for?

I was told by a buddy that there are some huge crappies in that lake.. But the hard part is getting them to bite?

On second thought... Which is better? Big Watab or just plain Watab? I saw both on the GPS lake map, but only Big Watab's depths were marked out. That lake is all over! And really deep!

Big Watab is a designated trout lake, and alot of the people fishing it are going for trout. There are some nice pannies to be had too. The lake is very clear which mekes it fun to take kids too if you have a camera.

Big Watab does have trout but it is not a designated trout lake.

Big Watab has a ridicculous amount of structure, so unless you konw the lake well, it'e hard to figure out where to start, but yes there are some very nice crapppies in that lake along with a mix of other dandy fish.

As far as regular Watab goes it'e also a good fishery and gets fairly deep. I've personaly had better luck on regular Watab because i've fished it more and know a couple people who live on it and have easy access to it. Otherwise you have to be a member of the St. Joe rod and gun club to legaly be on it.

big watab is not very clear this year --not as clear as other years . drilled a few holes down in the bay last thursday & could only see down about 5 ft

Wow, usually you can see down a lot farther than that. Was out there last year with a few people and we could see the bottom almost perfectly in 15 ft of water, brought the Aqua vu along and we could see for a long ways.

Been out to Watab and same thing, dirty could not even see down 7-8 ft while spearing.