• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shallow water bite?

fisherman27

first off it depends on which lake and which region you speak of... another factor is structure, type of day, water clarity, there are many many variables to the equation...

if i had to give you a very general and broad statement to go by i would either find some deep underwater structure that is close to the main basin of the lake, by structure i mean humps or reefs or flats that are a little more elevated and yet in or arround the main water basin ( a secondary option is to find transition areas)... the fish are roaming deep water this time of year but that doesnt mean in some situations they wont be up cruising some drop offs yet for a bit at night.

Hate to burst your bubble Thump'n em big but URL is not your typical lake in MN for walleye. In Upper Red there really isn't a drop off near the basin of the lake. It is a pretty steady taper down to 15 feet with bottom type transitions being the key. Even the south side of URL doesn't drop quick. Good advice for other lakes though \:\) I find that walleye are everywhere and the best thing to do is avoid the sheeple and the bite improves.