Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluegoose33

1st timers to URL

8 posts in this topic

Five 1st timers renting a sleeper out of Hillmans 15th-17th. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Colored hooks? Jigs? Because it's been so cold --are the fish in the deepest water? Are they turning on at a certain time of day? A huge thank you in advance!!! Bluegoose Bruce (stop by for a beer)

When I was up there a few weeks ago, blue and red jigging spoons tipped with fatheads were working the best. We got most of our fish at night, from dinner through late night, with a few during the day. We were in aboug 14ft of water and caught 5 walleye, 2 perch, 2 pike, and one slab crappie for four guys. It was slow, so hopefully its better for you!

Couldn't tell you what the current bite is doing.

Give this link a read, as detailed in this article I'd suggest a "neutral rod" and a deadstick. Glow red and blue are always good choices for the jigging spoon and red or white plain hooks worked a couple weeks ago.......as well as anything worked.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Of course, on Red there are always exceptions to the rule and thats the fun part. A 14.5 inch crappie wasted no time inhaling a 1/8 oz Rattlin Buckshot as soon as I put it in front of its face

I know this has nothing to do with the fishing but for creature comforts I would throw one or two Deep Cycle Batteries in the truck. If your renting a sleeper they normally have a connection for one and it's a better feeling then attaching to you vehicle battery. Also you can parallel them with your Vex and extend the bat life near indefinitly. But mainly for a quick light at night or to run the fans that redistribute the heat. Top bunk is really hot bottom bunk is chilly. One of these can run this stuff a long time without worring about firing up the truck next morning.

Just something I learned on my first trip up and have been very happy to have one along each subsequent visit.

thanks for the info. Looking forword to our 1st trip to url. good luck to you. Bruce

run a marcum amd you won't have to worry about keeping a vex running

Run a Marcum and I won't have that trouble?

Honestly the point was bring a Deep Cycle. Who cares which depth finder you use? And just for the record. I have a Marcum LX5. I just got back from Red and..... The guys who went with me ran FL8 and FL18. Both Vex's ran for three days to about 30%. Two days with the Marcum I was down to 20%. I am putting out 1000 watts to their 400 watts. The batteries aren't really much different except mine is newer. I had a crisper picture but no one unit worked much better when we were dealing with 12-14 foot flat.

So your statement is crazy talk. I AM NOT ADVOCATING ONE OVER THE OTHER... Just stating my observation.

Originally Posted By: minimite
run a marcum amd you won't have to worry about keeping a vex running

crazy.gif

Let's just avoid the Marcum vs. Vexilar situation, and leave it to the areas in Ice Fishing forum.