Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoggs222

Storing new X2 during summer?

18 posts in this topic

I have read how people remove the tarp off of their portables and store them indoors during the summer months.

I have an X2 where we had to screw through the tarp to fasten it to the sled. Any ideas on how to remove these without having to put a bunch of holes in the bottom of the tarp?

I have a frabill r2 tec and i also fastened it to the sled.I only put 7 screws total in.Them small screw holes are under the weather stripping.I am taking mine back off and storing it in the house.Them screw holes are way smaller then mice holes.

Originally Posted By: wishing for walleyes
Them screw holes are way smaller then mice holes.

I hear you there, but I was thinking that holes that close to the edge of the fabric would start to tear, maybe not though.

I have always put dryer sheets in my houses over the summer and mice have never went in. They smell real fresh too come the next winter when you pull them back out

I'll have to try that out. I wonder if mothballs work too? Or could that harm the fabric?

I've stored my entire otter sled and cover either in the rafters (old house) or lifted to the ceiling (new house) using a pulley system and rope. It keeps it dry, out of the way, and away from kids and dog. The key is to dry it out real well on a nice, warm spring day. If you have open rafters, you could put a pulley up high in the peak and lift it vertically through the rafters and then set boards across the rafters to lower onto. My new house has finished ceilings so I devised a two pully system to lift it nearly flush against the ceiling. I have 10' ceilings in the garage so height isn't an issue, but if you put it in a corner, you should be fine. In winter, I just leave it on the floor as the pulley isn't something you want to do after each trip.

Originally Posted By: hoggs222
I'll have to try that out. I wonder if mothballs work too? Or could that harm the fabric?

I have known of others using mothballs and they said it works very well. The only problem I see is removing that horrid odor come next winter.

I have been using bars of Irish Spring soap (a hint I got from this site) for a couple years. No mice and smells nice! I plan on using the same for the boat compartments.

I am going to store my new X-hut in the rafters of my cabin. I will be using mothballs in the tub to help keep animals out. The main thing is to let the hut dry and air out before putting it away. I think the mothballs will smell better than the old fish slime, pop, chips, food, and beer leftovers will hahaha.

Originally Posted By: Lotwfisher
I think the mothballs will smell better than the old fish slime, pop, chips, food, and beer leftovers will hahaha.

I wouldn't be too sure.

Originally Posted By: nine-tiner
I have been using bars of Irish Spring soap (a hint I got from this site) for a couple years. No mice and smells nice! I plan on using the same for the boat compartments.

SWEET!!! The Irish spring soap is catching on!! (I always bring up this option in these posts when it comes to storing)

Plus, when you take it out of storage in the fall, you just recycle the soap to the shower. grin.gif

As for storage, I have my Otter Lodge on a pulley/platform system by Racor (It's the pro heavy lift model) I picked it up at Menards (though it is sold at many different places) and it has been pretty slick to use. The "crank" you use to operate the pulley system fits a 1/2" chuck drill which makes things a LOT easier.

Hey Robin,

Just get the cover for your x2 and it should be fine. I store all may shacks in the garage with covers on....NO rodent problems!

By the way thanks for guiding us this past weekend, On Crow and LOTW!!

Bruce

store mine against the wall in the back of the garage tipped up...no rodent problems. It is a frabill ranger goin on 10 years now!!!

I just keep at the rodents well poisoned.

I've been using fabric softener sheets for several years now, both with the ice house and the boat storage. Cheapest, cleanest, easiest way I've found.

Not one issue, and it smells nice come the next winter!

Chris

I have overhead storage in my garage and I put my house on the shelf, I have not had any issues with mice or anything else, I just toss it up on the shelf and let it set there.

Reading this reminds me of the duck shack I went to about 15 years ago. The owner had a .22 pistol with shot shells that he used on the mice as they ran around the rafters. So apparently there's a lot of folks that think the little buggers can't climb.

Poison = bait. Why use a food product to attract the little suckers to the house.

How about wrapping a bar of Irish Sping in some dryer jobberdos and tossing in a few mothballs to give the mice something to roll around?

hoggs222, When I first assembled my Yukon, I also put in the screws. Then I got to thinking, that now that all those screw holes are in the tent and the tub, why not replace the screws with snaps? All the snaps will line up because they're the same holes that the screws went through. I went to the fabric shop and bought 2 packs of snaps. I installed the male 1/2 of the snap on the tub with pop-rivets and back-up washers. On the tent, I put the other 1/2 of the snap and just used the tool that comes with the kit to flare the thumb cap stem. Works GREAT, in about 10 minutes I can have the tent off and ready for storage indoors.