• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sag Lake 2-8-08 (photos included)

Beautiful sunny day on Big Saganaga. Most fish hit tip ups where as a few days earlier not a single flag flew on the same spot. Heres a few of the bigger ones we caught. Actually got a nice walleye also.

Cory

saglaker1.jpg

darrensag.jpg

brentsag.jpg

martinesag.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Can never get enough of looking at lakers. Thanks!

stf, got the fish on a mixture of live shiners and suckers. Didn't even try dead bait. The biggest one hit a sucker on a tip-up that I was pulling in to move to a new location. I was holding the tip-up in one hand and spinning the spool with my other when the line wouldn't come up anymore. Took me a couple of seconds to realize what was going on. My first thought was the hook got caught on the bottom of the ice, but when I looked down to see my floro leader nowhere in site, I knew what it was.

All in all an awesome day. Good weather, good company, and lakers. What more could a guy ask for.

Ever venture up this way stf?

Cory

Actually i'm the only one in our little posse that has a sled. So its usually a shuttle system, which I don't mind. The spot we have been fishing is about a 3 mile machine ride and about a half of a mile walk, so not bad at all. I am going to do some more looking around also. I have some similar locations picked out on the map with similar sled rides/walks.

Cory

Nice fish!

Fred wanted me to tell you he hi and to make sure you are staying out of trouble with the local authorities.

Thanks Casey,

I'm trying my best, but I think its probably Fred we have to worry about. Tell the tick I say hey back.

Cory

Steve, to add a bit to Tulibee's answer, the Corridor is roughly 5 - 6 miles long from the landing up to the Canadian Border, with many many locations all along the corridor to fish. Tulibee, were you just in for a day trip, or were you there for saturday too? We stayed at VCO for the weekend and fished friday afternoon and saturday until about 2... I suspect we passed your group as we fished a bit further up the trail. Fishing was definitely good before that front moved in on saturday. Cant wait to get back up there this weekend!

fishermn, we were in there for a day trip. We fished a different lake on saturday. What a front that came through eh!!

Nice work! What's the ice and snow conditions like in that neck of the woods. I'll be up in the area in four weeks, I'd like to get a feel for what it might be like then. I know it's a long ways off and there can be plenty of changes. Ice thickness? Lake travel conditions? In the woods snow depth?

Thanks

Lake travel conditions were great, very little snow and no pressure ridges. Ice was roughly 16 inches where we fished, but that varies widely depending on the lakes depth, water clarity, etc. Not sure how the snow conditions on smaller lakes are but the bigger lakes are pretty good right now.

Tulibee, yeah that dang front blew us right off the lake. Wow, what a wind!

So I just wanted to make sure I understand this. You can run a sled up the corridor, but not off it. To travel off you have to walk.

But you can run a 25 horse motor around most of the lake in the summer right.?

Can a guy run a power auger up on Sag?

You got it, sled on the corridor only. Until you cross into Canada, then you can go anywhere up to the boundary of the Quetico. No motorized augers allowed on the US side though. Smart huh? You can run a snowmobile or a 25 hp outboard but not a power auger or a chainsaw... My recommendation, fish the canadian side after their season is open this weekend. Sled right to your spot and you can use the power auger.

Might be heading up there Sunday for the Day. group of friends are staying at Powells for the weekend to. I should be out around horseshoe somewhere. What depth has everyone been fishing up there.

Tyler, you are gonna have to come up sometime and chase some lakers. You would have a blast!!!

Cory

Tulibee or anyone else with lake sag knowledge,

I am new to the lake and coming up to the area to do some winter camping. Wondering if you have any suggestions for lake trout for the area north of Romance lake on the south central part of lake sag.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

UNIT

Unit, drop me an email at cory _ mn @ yahoo.com with no spaces in that address. Let me know when you are going to be up.

Cory