• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Slabfest III Official Topic!

hanson

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hanson

• Team Otter

• Borch

• steeplechaser2

where's harveylee on this one! last year on saturday morning i showed him a picture of our morning catch with forty-one slabs in it and no one seemed to have a interest where we were. i gave the location and everything. But yet no one showed up. all i can say is thanks cookie monster for the slabs. if anyone wants to see a pic. of them, just pm me! it was definitely the best trip i've ever had up there whistle.gif

p.s. cookie thanks for the hospitality this year also. clean warm shack with plenty of action. thanks man, josh

Originally Posted By: minimite
where's harveylee on this one! last year on saturday morning i showed him a picture of our morning catch with forty-one slabs in it and no one seemed to have a interest where we were. i gave the location and everything. But yet no one showed up.

You guys pounded them that morning! I think with the weather and snow pumping in later that day, the crappies went on a barometer dropping tizzy that morning while we were all in Hillmans's BSing.

We had confidence in the area we were planning to fish as well as room for 20+ trucks of fisherman to spread out as well without crowding people.

I'd think so Cookie? Good meeting you last spring....You seem okay to me!

I'm hoping to make it but have'nt found no where's to stay so I may may not make her for a day?

Hope to though!

fiskyknut

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Originally Posted By: minimite
where's harveylee on this one! last year on saturday morning i showed him a picture of our morning catch with forty-one slabs in it and no one seemed to have a interest where we were. i gave the location and everything. But yet no one showed up. all i can say is thanks cookie monster for the slabs. if anyone wants to see a pic. of them, just pm me! it was definitely the best trip i've ever had up there whistle.gif

p.s. cookie thanks for the hospitality this year also. clean warm shack with plenty of action. thanks man, josh

I still have that picture in my head of all those guys standing around the one hot hole taking turns dropping a line down. A classic URL moment for sure. ;\)

A buddy of mine is currently up at URL. I found this thread last night and I called him trying to convince him to leave his wheel house up there. If I can convince him, we would plan to join in on the fun. It is sound unlikely, but there is a chance.

I have always wanted to make one of the FM events, but I never seem to be able to make it work.

Since it is called Slabfest, do you guys only target the slabs or do you switch to the walleyes if the crappies do not cooperate?

All this talk about slabs, I hope I can sleep this week! The wife officially gave me clearance to go , so I hope to see you guys.

as of right now i am headed to URL tuesday. hopefully i can stay up there tell sunday. i am pumped got the portable all packed up and then unpacked it and packed it again to make sure i had everything. cant wait to see all ya guys up there.

iceman

Good luck guys. I have plans Sat. night and can not make it, but I am going to the kids get together though. Have fun and be safe. Will see for next year.

Looks like the weather will cooperate for slab fest. Not to cold or snowy so it should make for a great time on the ice as long as the wind stays down. With the days getting longer it is only a matter of time before all the fish get into a prespawn frenzy. Here's the forecast for the weekend.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 9.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -1.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 20.

Friday Night: A slight chance of snow. Partly cloudy, with a low around 6.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 26.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 11.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 29.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 11.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 26.

Just got back from 2 full days fishing on URL. I will post a full "scouting" report tomorrow but I thought it went alright.

We did contact some fish (Yes... a few crappies) but I think we, as a group, are going to have some bigger problems and that is going to be getting to the fish. The big blow that happened on the lake last night really put a hitch in the plan. Borch & I made it off the lake near 9pm after a 9 mile snowmobile ride through the blizzard. What seamed to be fairly doable truck travel got thrown a monkey wrench with the 2-4' soft drifts that popped up last night. We were quite aways off any main roads.

Hopefully I can get some more info as the weekend approaches as to the conditions on the lake, but things got really blown in last night. Most of the single track plowed roads were totally drifted shut within a few hours.

Weather has never stopped Slabfest before so we are going to give it the best college try we have! ;\)

And Yes... we do target the Crappies! And catch a whole bunch of eyes in the process!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to e-mail me and I'll try to help you out.

I wish I could say right now what we're doing for travel on the lake (trucks or sleds) but I don't know. Sleds would provide the best mobility but I know that won't work for everyone and I want everyone to be included.

I can't wait for your scouting report, the weekend is taking forever to get here. I hope we can make it with 4x4 trucks.

Tough weekend with the weather and a tough bite. A very interesting afternoon/evening on Sunday with the total white out conditions. But still a very good time. The fish are around if you look for them.

i just got a call from rogers(thats where i am staying) she said that it didnt hit them to bad but its still rough travel. ill find out in the afternoon tomorrow. i am just hoping i am able to stay tell slabfest with whats goin on with my family situation. i pray for the best. Hanson if i have to leave early i will leave a report as to what i found for crappies and walleyes at the office at rogers maybe that will help you out in locating the fish, or at least where they were mid week and make it alittle easier. i am bringin my sled and otter sled with me so i am goin exploring Wednesday and Thursday and waitin for the rest of my group to show up Friday and fish around rogers. hope to see ya all up there, i watched the show with jonny p last night before and i couldnt sleep i would close my eyes and all i could see where those big slabs comin out of the whole grin.gif good luck! anyone sees a red chevy crew cab on infront of a house or a black indy 500 with a black otter walleye behind it stop in and say hi well trade reports over a couple cold ones.

iceman

My 15 year old nephew and I will be up Saturday and Sunday. I hope we can hook up with the slabfest. I have no idea where we're going to stay. I guess we'll just find something when we get there. 11 am at hillmans right?

Iceman16-

Roger's didn't get hit "too" bad. I started keeping my sleeper skid house at Roger's 3 years ago and I've stayed down there ever since. Jerry & the crew were out there early this morning pushing the drifts off the road and travel on the roads won't be too bad.

The group of houses off the end of his road to the west needed some plowing this morning to get out of there I'm sure as it was looking pretty drifted over last night when we made it back in on snowmobiles.

Main roads were clean when left to hit breakfast in Blackduck this morning.

I guess it just depends what happens with the wind. Check the forecast the day before when there is more of a chance of the weathermen actually getting it right. Right now they are talking sunny with high's in the mid-twenties...Too good to be true, knock on wood.

I could not convince my buddy to leave his house up at URL. He pulled it home last Sunday. They caught some fish, but it was mainly walleyes. They did pick up 3 crappies, but they did not do any searching. They had 2 wheel houses and 4 small children with - not a recipe for mobility.

Next year I will have to keep this in mind and make it happen. I have only fished URL once and it was a blast. I think my group may hit an Alexandria or Brainerd area lake this weekend for walleyes. Have fun guys!

"We were quite aways off any main roads."

I didn't know a 1/4 mile was "quite aways". AND you were 200 feet off a plowed road. grin.gif That little hole/dip you were fishing in Sunday afternoon is known as "Buddy2". Those are his rentals just to the west, that have been moving east. \:o

When it comes down to it I doubt there are many spots that the Petrowske's and Hillman's haven't fished over the years. If they had GPS coordinates of where every house had been placed and every spot scouted the whole north end of the lake would be black with icons and trails on the gps. I was thinking that as I was fishing last weekend as you could see the evidence of the houses moving east to west and the likely movement back again.

Yeah, it wasn't a great bite. \:D

I wonder how many "hot spots" have been GPS'd the past 7 years. Then how many were good again the next year or even the next week.