Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bassboy1645

Maunal trannys---curiousity question...

14 posts in this topic

do the newer pickups like 98 and newer have manual tranny option available?? Chevy ford dodge or toyota?? seems like everyone has an auto nowadays Im trying to think if the newer silveradoes or f 150s even have a stick shift version available?? could one be ordered if a guy wanted?? manuals are funner to drive and last a lil longer in my opinion...but they seem to be obsolete nowadays

06 tundra, the only way you could get a manual trans was in the two door model.

That sucks.. My next vehicle I really want a clutch again, just makes driving more fun. My oldest daughter had a sunfire and now a jetta, both 5 speeds and it was really hard to find even a car with a munual. We are getting to lazy crazy.gif

You can still get a 6 speed manual gearbox in Dodge and Ford 3/4 tons and 1 tons. Most likely you will have to order them though. You can get the manual with any engine you would like in those 2 brands 3/4 tons and 1 tons. Ford quit putting manuals in the F150's on the '09 model that is coming out. Ford only put the 5 speed in the F150's 6 cyl from '04 to present, before then ('97-'03) you could get it with the 6 cyl or 4.6 liter V-8. I also know Chevy put a 5 speed with their 4.3 liter V-6 and 4.8 liter V-8 up until recently. I wish I had a stick too. I am really looking at getting a new Superduty with a 6 speed. I know the resale will not be as good when I go to sell it, but that is what I want.

They seem to be slowly dying out of trucks. With Dodge I know you can't order the refreshed 4.7 V8 with a manual. Not sure on the Hemi, but kind of doubt it. Manaul is available on the weaker 3.7 V6.

I love the manuals too, especially for lower displacement motors/cars. Sounds like more cars and trucks might be moving towards the dual clutch setups. Pros and cons to that I guess. More effieceint than a true automatic and improved performance even over a manual. Just not the same feeling as making the perfect shifts through corners with a manual though.

I believe all the Diesel models have a 6 speed manual option. I think the manual has been phased out of all the half tons.

I hve a 2002 Silverado that I ordered with a five speed stick. My fishing/hunting buddy, Steve, bought a 2005 Ford 250 with a six speed. They have to be ordered in most cases but they are cheaper than the auto. With us, its a family thing. Four of my five kids drive stick shifts, including my daughter, who drives a diesel Dodge heavy-duty truck with a stick. And she's single and has a medical degree and she owns a horse farm, and she's single...

Watch different market areas, I know in the Rockies you can still find many "stick" shifts, and so in the northwestern states.

I personally have a 5 speed Dodge and I am going 6 speed, you get at least 3 mpg better with manual.

I am glad I am not the only one that likes it.

I prefer an auto in a truck, just so much easier...

Stick shift belongs in the hot-rod. ;\)

Icehouse Bob, did you say your daughter is single??? Just checking.......? ;\)

NAMA, Now that you mentioned it, I do seem to recall that she's single.....

Soooo, they can charge us more money...

I've gotta say, it sure is nice just to hit a button and get four wheel drive while you're driving.

In reading a lot of specs, the auto trannys being offered have, in many cases, higher towing ratings than the manual option, especially in the half-ton and smaller trucks. Be careful you don't short your towing capability if you need it.

That said, manual trannys are just plain more durable in the hands of a skilled driver. Like others here, I've put 250,000 on one original clutch, 143,000 on another - and I traded those both in without slip. Auto's have come a long way - but I hope manual R&D isn't going away.

But man, I sure like my AutoTrac 4x4. grin.gif

I've got a fairly heavy gas foot and a very light brake foot. When I drive auto, I tend to lurch forward from a stop and lurch forward while trying to brake to a complete stop.

I think I understand why some people brake for about no apparent reasons on the highway. LOL's

I like manuals, gives my more feel of the tires on the road.