Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott K

Trailer tires

13 posts in this topic

I am in the market for new trailer tires. Size are st205/75/r14. Now Im not looking for anyone to try to sell me any, just recommendations!

I havent had very good luck with trailer tires on this trailer. It is a 28 ft enclosed, tandem axle. I haul mostly atv's with it, 4-6 atv's. The problem is the tread keeps falling off my tires. Its not a wear issue, they track good. I know cornering the tires roll and hop, which Im sure is the cause of my problems here. What I want is what tire would work best in this situation.I was going to try Good Year Marathons, but thought I would ask here first, is Good Year going to be my best options?

Goodyear makes the best trailer tires, to bad they are not the cheapest.

Look into Denman's. I've had great luck with them and they are cheaper than Goodyear's.

You might want increase the load rating tire. Or bigger tire, Load range of tire. You have a big trailer for small size tire.

The best tire made won't last if overloaded.

I would also make sure you purchase the right sized tires. We have found on the race trailer that the Goodyear tires have served us the best of the tires tried.

I switched to Goodyear on my bobcat trailer and they wear a lot better...however like said before they are not the cheapest.

I just tried a carlisle (sp?)tire as a spare last month but have not had to use it yet. It was $35 cheaper for same rating, but bought from goodyear dealer.

Might want to look into going to a 225 also with a D rating.

I would love to go with a bigger tire, but there is limited room to get the tire on and off of the trailer. I tried a 215/75/14, I had to pull the side wall on the trailer out a good inch to get the tire on. Looking at the load range difference between the 205, and the 215 isnt a whole lot, and I figured the wider tire would just roll more on corners. For me to get 225 on it I would have to raise the body from the axle. I will just try 4 new Good Year 205's and see if I can make it a year without blowing a tire. I only put about 6000 miles on in a year.

I've been using Carlile Sure Tracks from Fleet Farm. Used them on my equipment trailer and had great luck with them. Got about 20k out of each set (three sets). Might have gotten more miles but I set the electric brakes a little on the high side. You also should be able to jump up a losd range and keep the same size tire. The price is also about 1/2 of the goodyears. HTB

The most I can find for 205/75/14 are LR C, I would like to jump to D's but I havent found anyone that makes them!

I had the same problem as you. My trailer was 24 X 8.5 enclosed. I switched to a 205 75 15. The 14s were a B rating, and the 15s are a C. Northern has wheel and tire under 100, $95 if I recall.

4wanderingeyes:

I had the same 14" tire issues with my perm that needed tires to support it's 4,800 lbs.

I ended up with Kumho Radial 857's which is a "trailer service" tire line of theirs. 195/QR14

Load Index 106 = 2094lbs (950kg) per tire

Speed Rating “R” = 106mph (170kph) 106/104R D Trailer Use Only

65 psi

I got mine @ tire rack for $72 a piece. You can get the 205/QR14 tire but they are a back order item. No outlet locally would match the price even with the $22 shipping cost.

These things hold my house well even being under rated for it's weight.

Just be sure you stick to the ST type tires!

Kumho 857 195/QR14 work just fine on my single axle boat trailer(total weight about 4200lb) since July 2006.

Great towing/handling performance @ 65lb tires pressure.

"Internally, the Radial 857 features twin steel belts that stabilize the tread to increase traction, while a 2-ply, polyester cord body helps even out the trailer's ride."

I'm going to buy one more set of them for my utility trailer

from TireRack.

Good Luck!