• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake by St. Johns?

riversmallmouth35

There are the two small lakes when you are coming into St. Johns campus on the side of the roads. Does anyone know if these lakes have names or anything about them. I was wondering if you could a gas auger on these lakes because I know you can't on Sagatagan. Thanks for any help.

They are named east and west gemini. Have caught nice numbers of panfish in the spring on the east lake, never tried it through the ice. I have heard tell of some nice crappies out there. I believe the west one is an outlet for treated sewage. You cannot use a gas auger, it is considered campus, you will see the signs for it when you walk around the edge.

Originally Posted By: waxworm
Got sick last time I ate fish out of one of those lakes sick.gif

Anyone else eat fish from there? I got hives from the pannies we ate out of the east lake, nobody else that ate them did though.

Thanks for the help. I ate some fish that i took out the east one but did not get sick.

east side is flagged for heavy mineral contamination from past sewage runoff

via the college and there is a culvert connecting the two lakes; probably

would not eat from either, but great place to bring kids for panfish c&r

Originally Posted By: SJU70
I believe the west one is an outlet for treated sewage.

Actually, East Geminii is the sewage one (trust me, I had to help clean out the waste water treatment plant once sick.gif) and like someone else mentioned, the two are connected by a culvert under the road.

They're not dumping raw sewage into them, but I still would not be too quick to bring fish home.

My father in law is a chem professor out there and told me they do tests all the time on the lake. He said the fish are no different than any other lake, and the water quality is better than most. After he told me this, I told him "I'm still not eating the fish" There is something about eating things that swim around in people P00 that really grosses me out.

Is that you Matt? We pheasant hunted down in worthington this fall. Anything biting on Sag this year?

Originally Posted By: idratherbefishing
Is that you Matt? We pheasant hunted down in worthington this fall. Anything biting on Sag this year?

I caught the usual hammer handles all day long...and i had some pretty consistant crappies early in the year

Originally Posted By: idratherbefishing

'Tis I. I'm assuming this is Bill? Fish were going ok till the ice got thick enough where I decided I didn't want to bother hand augering holes anymore. Hope the birds cooperated the rest of the season for ya. Woulda been fun to come back down and go after some of those bunnies!

Hasn't anyone convinced SJU that a power auger won't hurt anything, except make a little noise. A guy could get an electric auger or the power drill attachment. Did you guys use tip ups for pike at all. We used to catch some nice pike up there. Bird hunting was good up until the end! We'll do it again next year.

That may be the biggest reason, there isn't a public boat access so motors isn't a huge concern. Its a quiet little lake setting, canoe and row boat only. In no time it would be like everyother lake in the area, idiots out there on snowmobilies etc. if they opened it up to augers.

The concern isn't with the pollution--it's with the people, littering, parking, and all the other [PoorWordUsage] that comes along with large crowds of (lazy) people. It's a beautiful setting, and I'm more than happy to hand drill a few holes or paddle a canoe if it means some small degree of solitude and a setting not contaminated by beer cans, cigarette butts, bait containers, snarls of fishing line, empty bottles of vodka, and used prophylactics (I've seen these at two public accesses this year...at least somebody's gettin' some grin.gif).

Carl

the solitude is the main reason that that lake has been one of my favorites all these years... the fishing pressure is next to nothin because a lot of people are lazy. I have no problems puttin in the work on that lake cause it always pays off even if its just a few hammerhandles.

Not to mention the monster bass in that lake. I have gotten some absolute pigs out of there in the spring but you have to be willing to play in the pads.

ive caught and seen some very nice bass come out of there the last couple of years. It seemed to me that more bass are starting to come through the hole compared to other years ive fished. I think the bass are starting to become more dominant. this year i caught about 60 40 northerns to bass in past years that number was more like 80 20, but i chased crappies more this year than in the past. the crappie pop seems to be in better shape as well... i was able to find them easier this year than in the past, or maybe i just got luckier cause its so much work {drilling holes}its hard to pop around a lot to find em, good luck this spring bass pop seems strong.

i too have seen nessie out there while fishing for crappie in the spring, and this is correlated proof that low pressure and C&R does work. a picture on the

wall is way sweeter than a fish.

hey by the way has either of you two fished achman? on paper looks like a similar set up and was going to try this spring.

I have made it a point to take as many northerns as i legally can. i cant imagine im the only one, but there sure was a lot last year...between 4 guys just tip up fishing in one day we took home our limits in northerns and threw back at least twice that in just one day on the ice.

ok i would like to amend my pompass statement, looks like C&R, low pressure, and

selected harvest does work. i know those little slimers sometime suck,but they do

make great little appitizers and rid the lake of fish pressure.

Achman gets fished HARD by anglers opposite of those who fish Sag. Park right along the road and walk out 100 yards and you're fishing. Heard of a lot of really small crappies being pulled out of there last year and brought home by people...less people fishing the lake this year I've noticed though.

Sag is a pretty little lake. I would be opposed to motors of any kind out there although there is a lot of ice for a hand auger these days!

Here is my favorite Sag story:

My bro (Flowage Tamer) and my mom were out there in mid summer casting topwater plugs for bass...I was probably 13 or 14 years old and right away I drill little 2 pounder. It is swimming in treble hooks and as I'm trying to get them extracted with the fish on the bottom of the canoe it makes one quick flop and my finger is hooked, and deep! Ended up getting the fish off and a guy in another boat tried ripping out the hook without success...said I had "the toughest skin he has ever seen." Long story short our evening of fishing was cut short as we had to run to the ER to have it numbed and removed. Still have the lure in the tackle box!