Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cody Lubeley

Shallow Crappies

14 posts in this topic

ive noticed that the bigger crappies i have been catching have been in shallower water, in the 5-7FOW range has anyone else been fishing shallow, jsut looking for opinions

I fish shallow on S. Center often and do well with 10-11" crappies often. A lot of smaller ones too, but you'll get the same thing deep.

My best slabs have come from 16-18 feet right off the weedline,and I consider that shallow this time of the year.The big deep holes don't seem to be holding many fish,maybe the fish are in or near the weeds for the better oxy. levels?

the spot that i fish the weeds are almost to the top of the ice and i drop my bait down in the pockets and thats how ive gotten most of the bigger slabs in the 10-12" range, Ive tried out deep a couple times on the same lake and have done alright for numbers but never got one over 8"

If I had an opinion.. Many lakes are suffering a bit of a low o2 this year because of the deeper snow early and the thick ice now.. So any green weeds at this time will hold fish.. Hence why you may be catching fish shallow now.

Ive noticed the low o2 levels too. I noticed more weeds dying off earlier this year but have still found fish shallow in some locations. Caught a 8 inch walleye on marion a couple days ago in 4fow

So as the O2 level drops, where in the water column is the higher O2? Towards the surface? Maybe we just need to drill more holes to let the lake breath. ;-)

Well i used to catch all my crappies on Black Lake in about 20 fow but this last friday i went to my normal spot and i caught all sunnys and 1 crappy and i never used to catch sunnys in that spot. So my guess is that they went in shallower so i am going to shallower this weekend.

Was on Crystal (burnsville) today. Started at 15ft----blank screen----went to 25ft ----caught my limit of nice eaters .

WHATS UP WITH THIS LAKE? IT NEVER SEEMS TO FOLLOW ANY TRENDS.><(((*>

I've fished crystal quit a few times this year but i havent yet to find a crappie worth keeping my biggest ive got there this season has been around 6" or 7" i would guess, glad to here you found some nice ones

it seems they are in the spring mode as most of the nicer crappies have been in the 8-15 ft. off bottom. They are definitly the more aggressive up there

thats exavtly what ive noticed

Originally Posted By: JOHN T jr.

Was on Crystal (burnsville) today. Started at 15ft----blank screen----went to 25ft ----caught my limit of nice eaters .

WHATS UP WITH THIS LAKE? IT NEVER SEEMS TO FOLLOW ANY TRENDS.><(((*>

(Sounds like a fish story to me grin.gifI've never seen any eaters out of their yet)

haha same for me they all seem to be 7" or less