Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kingkidfisher4431

Babbit(Birch)?!?!?

9 posts in this topic

I know a couple of you guys live down that way on or near birch and im wondering about the ice on birch? Theres that access just before you get to town right near hgwy 21 there and i know the ice was thicker than most places earlier in the season, so my question is has anybody been driving out east/northeast of kramer bay area?

I was down the entire length of Birch on my snow machine a week ago, and it was being driven almost the entire length. No one has come down fro Kramer landing, but they have been from the beach and going all the way down to Bob's Bay. Also, traffic out from the campground on the other end. I haven't tested the ice myself to check thickness, only reporting the activity I've seen.

Thanks alot. So nobody from kramer landing huh? So how exactly do you get to the beach again, is that just in town? Also is it a good sized road or just a couple vehicles?

Instead of turning into town, skirt it past the plantation. There will be signs about a mile + past town. Nothing has been plowed. Just tracks, but the hardpack over the ice is just four or five inches deep.

Ok i think i got it, just head east a mile or so outta town youll see a sign and thats where to turn...I think i got it. You drive out this year finnbay or personally see anybody in full sized truck out there? Or even better question do you trust the ice this year to drive out? How much ice out that way?

I have seen several full size trucks out on the ice this year, including the local CO.

kingkid,

There will be a sign that says Beach and you'll turn to the left. The first road is cabled and hasn't been plowed, the second is the one to the landing. Personally, I seldom drive on the ice anyway, but yes, I have seen full sized trucks and would expect that there is at least 15 inches of ice in most places, if not more.

i live down on the far east side of the kawish..past the highway 1 bridge. nobody is driving on that end. ice depth is differnt almost every place i drill a hole. the other day i drilled two holes next to each other..one had 9in of so.so ice and the other had maybe 5in. given this was past the bridge where there is a little current, but still...the ice is still weird on this side.

mike

Birch is a flowage/reservoir with at least a little current in most main channel areas and strong current in some. You can't depend on solid ice from place to place. The longtime locals who spend their lives out on the lake tend to learn patterns, and where you can and cannot drive.