Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therookie

osakis

9 posts in this topic

I have been up for opener the last two years and noticed a shallow nightime feeding

frenzy, but the lake seems to turn into the dead sea during the day; granted i dont

know the lake and my fellow resorters are from iowa and are thrilled with prospect

of frying up rock bass and bullheads, but could someone please help me with

general daytime depths, structure, feeding patterns ect. I am not asking for gps,

names, or places, just freindly advice. also any helpful information stays in the

lake, i pinch my hooks and use a catch and release net. thanks

Be looking for some humps around 15 to 18 feet of water. I know that might seem alittle deep but early in the year it seems to work alright. All those fish that are up shallow at night move out to breaks and a place to suspend and find baitfish so that could be a key place to look at the nearest break.

double H,

thank you for your reply. apparently you are the only one who has bagged

an eye during the day. I have fished the break by trolling crank and swim bait

but only ended up with slimers, are the eyes hunkered on the bottom and not as aggressive as they are at night?

don't neglect the weeds either. walleyes are typically low-light predators...during the high sun daylight they'll either move to deeper darker climes, or the shade. Drake's got good advice, and I know he can catch 'eyes in the daytime. you could try jiggin the humps or trolling a lindy rig to find the active 'eyes. they may indeed be hunkered on the bottom edge.

Gman,

once again thank you for a response. i have heard of the hippie eye's that hang

in the weed beds and am going to give it a go this season, but could you or someone else explain where in the bed i am suppose to be jigging? above,

outside, the bottom, ?ft inside. thanks

There are eyes in those weeds, just ask team otter. The way I fish the weeds is , using crawlers I use a 4 foot snell with a couple of split shot right at 4 ft. and retreive just fast enough to tick the weeds. Same goes for using a hot in tot or walleye diver, slow is the answer. Fish right over the top of the weeds, those eyes are hiding in the pockets or holes in the weed bed.

Rookie if you could give me your email address I could help you out alittle more! Also like "efgh" said try using those crawlers and stick to 3 or 4 inch snells alot of those breaks are steep and its hard with a swimbait or crankbait to stay down a foot or 2 off the bottom but if you use those 3 to 4 foot snells

efgh,

thanks for the advice, soup, and cereal

drake,

since you were willing to help me for free, i am willing to pay you for a 8 hour

ride around the lake some day; i will call the service and set something up.

Sounds great. Hey all we want is for people to have a great time fishing and helping out however we can!