Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
murfdog13

Chubby Darter

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone use these lures if so how do they work? Ive heard good things, but im having a hard time spending 6 or 7 bucks on a lure. Just wonderin if they are over hyped or worth the money.

they r over hyped.i got a few of them.they work very well on walleyes if the fish are aggressive.if they r not then mine just sit in the tackle box.

Originally Posted By: mnhunter3815
they r over hyped.i got a few of them.they work very well on walleyes if the fish are aggressive.if they r not then mine just sit in the tackle box.

I agree, overhyped. I have two of the no. 3s that came out this year and a few of the larger ones, no. 5s , I think. I have yet to catch fish with them. I have had northerns come in for a look, but that's it. NO BITES. On the other hand, I also do not discount that they can catch fish. Obviously they have worked for people or you'd have never heard of them. The price tag is a little high too. But then again everything's expensive these days. Except the minnows at Scheels!

At times they are the lure you gotta have. They have their place and time. I usually use them when I'm searching for fish or they are aggressive. Sometime if the fish won't touch anything I'll put one on and rip it and do ok then as well. Seems to trigger some of those negative fish at times.

I love them for perch. Seems that the larger perch just love to smack these things.

I agree with the overhyped opinion. I have 4 or 5 and they have definately not improved my fishing much. I guess I will wait for the next "magic" lure to come out.

hey "any fish will do" i dont know about you but my tackle box is full of "magic" lures... except i dont have any chubbys, and the way it sounds that price tag along with the results just might keep them out of my box. thanks for all the input everyone.

all i hear are negitive things about that lure.

I don't have any chubby darters and never used any but I have some fishing buddies who like them. They were up at LOTW a month ago and said the chubby darters outfished every other lure and were the "lure to use". Guys who didn't have them were stealing them out of eachothers tackle boxes. So I agree with one poster, they probably have there time and place. I may add one to my box just to have but like you said its tuff to pay 7 or 8 bucks for one lure...but then again jigging raps arn't that cheap either. If it helps me catch at least one fish down the road then I consider it money well spent :/.

on lotw if the fish are aggressive the chubby darter will catch fish.its just about that time of year up there on the big pond to try them out again.

I have used them with success at times. Got a couple of the small perch colored ones for the tough bite at Mille Lacs this year and had some success. As for the high price I just look at it as two beers at a bar and it's justified.

They seem to make easier to target larger crappies and perch as the little guys leave them alone; I like 'em.

I have a half dozen that I've picked up at clearance prices and they do work occasonaly. They are good exploring lures. Set up, jig one hard, and see what shows up on the flasher. The fish may not hit it, but they let you know they're around. If they do hit it,they usually slam it, no light bites. They aren't magic but they do have their place. And northerns do like to rip them off.

thats the best excuse i ve heard to justify buying more tackle thanks gopher! I just may buy one or two bar tabs soon.

#4 Yellow Dace = Walleye on the Horseshoe Chain!

#3 Perch = Crappies

#4 Hot Perch = Walleye/Cats

They have been my "Go To" lure of choice for exploring new water & areas this year and it has paid off big time. Don't write them off just because of price. Like gopher said cut back on a couple beers at the local tavern & you'll have few Chubby's in your box.

Tight Lines,

Chris

Last year I visited Joe's Sporting Goods in preparation for a March trip to Lake of The Woods and asked the staff there what they'd heard was hot. They couldn't stop gushing over the CD. In fact, I had 3 store clerks hovering around me at one point brimming with excitement and telling me stories about how their customers had cleaned them out for trips to LOW. I even had one clerk call around to a bunch of his competitors trying the locate a few for me. Was finally successful in finding a few at Capras in Blaine. I picked them up that afternoon and was pumped about tying them on the line and dropping down the hole.

Unfortunately, they didn't live up to the hype. Didn't get a single nibble on the DC but caught plenty of eyes on the standard equipment.

I'm not giving up on the DC yet though. Since their made in Poland, and I'm 50% polack, there must be some karma between me and the lure that I just need to connect with. 8^)

Just wait till you run out of live bait or you decide it would be fun to have a chubby dart-r contest. LOL's

To date I still haven't caught anything on one, but it attracted fish and some few nibbles. When else I would've just been staring at a blank flasher.