Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
randallt

Gull Lake?

22 posts in this topic

How is the bite on Gull going?

I am thinking of making one more trip before season ends.

Haven't heard much on here in the last week or so. Jason - I hope that negative post a couple of weeks ago didn't turn you off. I really appreciate your reports.

I was up Friday evening we caught 5 and missed about 5 more. All on rattle wheels, if you would jig they would leave.

Two of us fished Saturday morning till early afternoon. Had better luck in the deeper water with small eyes and jumbos. Had ok action, enough to keep us out in the weather. We started in 15 feet and ended in almost 40. We caught fish jigging and dead sticks with both producing eyes and perch.

Hi Randy, It takes a little more than that to scare me off. I've just been away from the computer for a couple of weeks fighting a nasty cold. I think I have it whipped now. But the walleye action on Gull has been hit or miss. A lot of guys are starting to chase crappies and the crappie bite has been pretty good. The ones that are still fishing walleyes are getting a few but the fish have been running on the small side. The best set up has been teardrop style jigs tipped with fatheads or crappie minnows. Deadsticking has been the best bet. There have still been some nice perch mixed in too. Shallow water has been the best all year and is still producing. I've heard good reports from 12-19 feet lately.

Jason Erlandson

Jason our shallow bite has really slowed down... My neighbor and I moved to 30 ft and are still picking up a few decent eyes.

My neighbor picked up 6 a few days ago between 2:30 and 3:30 in the afternoon.. That was kind of a surprise... All caught on a dead stick with fatheads..

I actually pulled my fish house off the ice since I am headed out of town for several weeks...

I hope you are feeling much better...

Joel

Thanks for the report guys. Glad to hear you are on the recovery Jason. I am battling the same thing, been a week and still not back to 100%. If I make it up I will stop by the shop for bait.

was up on gull friday afternoon til sat morning last weekend.

24 ft of water produced a few fish keeper size, 1 19" 1-13.5" and a couple around 15 that came off in hole. also caught about 8-9 7-12" fish which were tossed back. pink glow noodle bug with fat head tipped on it along with a pink glow jig on rattle wheel with whole fathead produced the most fish.

small baby glow swede with whole crappie minnow produced a few.

most fish were at twighlite although one at 1:30 a.m. on rattle wheel.

was out tonight, had lines in 30-42 feet. Fished with people who have never ice fished walleyes before...we missed 6 and caught 2 very nice eyes, all on set lines with either small shinners or fatheads

What access are you guys using, I noticed the public access by hole in the day is pretty heaved up. Is it passable with a 16foot house? I will be heading up friday night.

We went out of Ernies, you should have no prbolems, if you want to fish that area of the lake

Also the Gov't landing near the dam is fine for access. I have an 18ft house and pulled it off their the other day..

skies and eyes is the access out of ernies public or private? payment or free? I have never fished that end of gull. I am more north or hole in day bay area.

both access sites are free

went out of Grand View today, you should be able to get a wheel house over that also, they knocked the heave down with a skid stear. It is also free

taking my two girls out tomorrow, should I go on the north end or the south end? Don't need specific spots at all, your opinions are much appreciated. Thanks

North= numbers, south= bigger....from what I have experenced the whole year

The middle was lot of action and fun last night.

did ya see a black truck digging a black ford XUV out of a snow bank....that was not fun

Speaking of travel and snow banks....

How is the travel on the lake? is one able to drive over the lake with a truck and wheel house or are their roads to follow?

Where would the best place be to go out of with a 20' wheel house on the north side? I would be coming up Friday morning around 4:30am from the south, so it would have to be a free place (unless their open that early).

Please provide some simple directions to the access point. I have only been to Gull once this fall and launched on the cross road that went on the north side of Gull.

Also are the crappies deeper on gull like other lakes or would you get some setting up shallower for Eyes?

Thanks

I drove across North Long Lake last night with no problem. Just watch for the bigger drifts and give'r gas. I think there is a good ice heave on the north side access by hwy 371. Try going out of Erinies on Squa Point. Go north on 371 to Gull Dam Road, just before BIR. Go down Gull Dam Road till you see the sign that say Ernies. Then you are there! If that doesnt work go to the engineer landing. Same route but instead of turning at the Ernies sign go straight. You will come to a small bridge and the landing is just after that on the right hand side.

I have been fishing deep for a while, but I moved shallow tonight and had good fish, and they were bigger, 15 feet with shinners....I haven't fished crappies yet this year...good luck

skies and eyes, thanks for the help on access locations. Went out of Ernies this weekend and had a great time(by the way they have great all you can eat fish fri.night). Fishing was good. Lots of little ones but action none the less. We had some nice perch mixed in as well.