• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

98 Grand Prix trans rebuild

Dozer

Question

Ive fot a 98 Gtp that first gear slips on. Its been sliping for about a year but if you take it easy in first it is fine. Also when you pull out to pass someone it kinda acts wierd too. It feels like it unlocks the torque converter then relockes it a couple times, seems like it cant decide if it wants to be locked or unlocked. If you give it a little bit more gas so it shifts down to third it is fine. This is the third trans Ive had in this car, first one lost all gears second one lost third. I replaced both of them with used ones from junkyard. Im getting tired of putting in trannys! Is it possible for a person to rebuild this trans at home? Is it really that complicated or can a pretty mechanicly inclined person do it with a good manual? Am I just asking for trouble?

4 answers to this question

You are asking for a world of trouble. I have done dozens of th350 and 400 in the garage, but wouldn't even attempt to crack open these computerized trannies. Before you condenm it have it scanned. Maybe you could get lucky and it is a solinoid sticking or something.

Are there any good shops in the Cambrige area? I took it in when the last one went I took it in and I really dont think they did anything. Just drove it and said "yep its slipping, a new one is $XXXX". Is there anyone in the area that actually works on them rather than just replacing them? I think it is abolutly rediculas that people dont service transmissions, and just replace them at the drop of a hat. Like anyfishwilldo said its probly a solinoid or bad cluthes but most places dont fix them they just replace them.

A GM dealer can give a good computer diagnosis of the problem but as far as a good shop I'm at a loss.

I too recommend a dealer. They will be the best for diagnosing the problem, and know of comon concerns.