Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
james_walleye

fosters report

13 posts in this topic

A friend and I hit fosters tonight. It was the first time i've ever ice fished it. It was a good time. We fished from 1:30-5:30. We saw 15 trout including a few that we were sure were over 20". We iced 4 of them between 4:00-4:40 all in that 14-16" range. Any kind of a red hook with a fathead about 4-5' down is what worked for us. Its definately a unique fishing style. Sight fishing in 19' of water.

Either its the lack of a nap today or I am really confused...I thought you couldn't use live minnows on Fosters to catch trout.

Any clarification please...

Everyone i've ever talked to who has told me how to fish out there has told me to use minnows.

Thanks for the reply james_walleye

Thought I read somewhere you couldn't, but I guess my CRS is just getting worse. Have to get a scoopful and try it out this weekend... :-)

Yeah i was worried and i called the baitshop and they said there were no special regs reguarding live minnows.

Thanks for the 411, james_walleye

I was getting a taste for trout recently and didn't think I could wait til Apr 12th... Hopefully I can get out this weekend and put a few on the dinner table.

One other question or two to pick your brain...

How do you rig your minnow and what depth do you fish the rig at?

Thanks

I set my float at about 5'. I used a lightwire red #8 hook and hooked the minnow right behind the dorsal. The fish i caught came on this hook. I think its because the minnow can swim much more freely with the light hook. The glow red jig i had on didn't get a sniff.

Thanks for the info james_walleye, look forward to giving it a try!! :-)

Use a size 10 or twelve red hook. that seems to work the best. Plus fat heads out perform crappie minnows. Plus don't forget your power bait it will out perform the minnows.

Power bait didnt the other day for us. They wouldnt even sniff it. They wanted the lively minnow.

If you leave that poer bait sit still the will swim by it. I prefer to jig it and I have yet to have one swim by it while jigging. Powerbait has out preformed fatheads 10-1. It must be the way use it.

Do the big ones hit it? I mean fish over 23"? I just feel i have more confidence with a lively minnow down there for catching a big one rather than a chunk of power bait. I'm assuming your using the power bait trout that you just ball up and put on othe hook? I have a 4 year old that i think might get a kick out of seeing the trout down there and if the power bait just plain catches more trout i might be inclined to give it a better chance.

Well i don't ball the power bait. I take a small jig head and form the power bait to look like a minnow on the jig. Just like you hooked a plastic minnow. Then I jig it and the action of that power bait looks like a cripled minnow. The trout will just smoke it and I sight fish it so soon as they hit it i set the hook. I've had trout take 5 swipes in a row before. The key is keep that power bait moving. I've beem mixing the power bait and the gulp together to make a two tone minnow body. It takes time but it pays off.