Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Uncle Boney

Multi Purpose Line Question

12 posts in this topic

Since I only come up in June for two weeks a year, I want to keep my line choices as simple as possible.

Also, a few years ago I pulled up a 48" Muskie by mistake fishing on a worm and a jig for walleye. If I did not have 8 lb fireline, I never would have gotten it to the surface.

Seems like the traditionalists love using mono for walleye, or at least a mono leader on a fireline rig. I have also heard that with the stained water on V., the line is not as critical (although last year the water looked pretty darn clear).

I love fishing a jig or a slip bobber directly on fireline. I have caught walleye on all colors of fireline. If I accidentally get a northern or muskie, I have enough line strength to get it in.

Maybe I am missing a lot of walleye by not using mono or florocarbon for more stealth?

Any feedback on the fireline crystal being more stealthy than the older colors or other superlines that might work well as a stand alone?

I have used Powerpro in the past, but changed to the new Fireline Crystal last year...loved it. I do use a mono leader of about 3 feet when fishing with jigs...

I most often us a lindy/leech or crawler rig...

The new Crystal has been excellant...

I have been using either Fireline Crystal or Power Pro exclusively for many years now.

I tie directly to the Crystal or Power Pro when using jigs.

I always add an 8# or 10# mono leader (Cajun Red) to my Lindy Rigs.

I prefer the Power Pro line myself.

Cliff

I'm curious, do you guys think fish know what line is? If they do, how come they don't know what hooks are?

I use superlines exclusively and never use a mono or fluoro leader. The knot joining the two is difficult to tie in light lines. The superlines are so slippery knots easily slip. A good knot can be tied, but the extra time needed to connect them and the potential weak knot, is not worth the questionable benefit. Also the knot tends to hang up in the guides, reducing casting distance.

I know many who use the leaders who believe it helps and if you are one of those, more power to you. Having confidence in your choice of tackle is probably the best way to increase your catch rate.

I am sure that fish do not have a clue what line is, but they know when something is not "right"! A more natural presentation will always catch more fish!

I tie a small swivel to the superline and tie my mono leaders to that. Very simple and quick!

I use superline not basicly for their strength but because I can feel light biters much easier.

Cliff

I to doubt a fish has a clue what line is.

They eat, move around, eat some more....bout it.

Fish school, they don't go to school.

Man makes up all the crazy rules....just fish.

Limit visablity?

Sure but only to make offering look more real.

Just my take...but I fish for everything an only guide for Killers. We do OK fine.

\:\)

T.

I run mono for eyes, I took an interesting video a few weeks ago of 1 pound Crystal at 21 FOW. Clearly visible on the camera and I don't get many biters on it during the day. Keep in mind I'm also fishing gin clear water and without snow cover 30' visibility is possible.

I use fireline for everything. I hate mono to begin with and after using fireline its impossible to go back. You will save money by pulling out snags faster and you will lose less hooks and sinkers. Cliff is 100% right about the light biters, you can feel fish that would be impossible to feel or differenciate from the bottom with mono.

Esox:

What is the thing on the left tied on in your video? It looks invisible. Is it Crystal, too?

fireline is not nearly as dependable as power pro over time.it starts to fray and lose strengh. Ive seen many a breakoffs.My opinion of course go with the PP.

In my opion Power Pro is the best braid out there and is what I use exclusively for muskies. Like any line you do have to watch it as it will start to frey if you have a bad guide, etc. I have seen it snap a few times for other anglers. I only tried Fireline once. 20lb and it broke off when a really big fish, laker, hit. I never tried it again. For walleyes, bass, crappies I have been using Gamma mono the past two years and really like the stuff. Pretty tough to break it. Silver thread is also very good.

Ive pulled in alot of big Pike with 20 and 30lb. fireline rubbing against their teeth. Fireline can get weak spots like any other non-mono line but as you cut and trim as it gets worn or frayed it'll be alright. I put new line on about every month during season. I love the way it casts.