Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iambjm

Crappie frustration

10 posts in this topic

I have been fishing a small lake north of Grand Rapids for the last month and have caught 1 crappie. I can see fish suspended between 20-30 over 37-40 feet of water but can't get anything to bite. I even used my Aqua-Vu to try and see what they are but all I see is a milky white screen. I have used the camera in shallower water and it works there but not on the main portion of the lake. I sure would like to catch some fish.

Could be bluegills up that high in the water column too. My typical panfish set up is a noodle rod or rod w/ a spring bobber, 2lb test line, a small jig, and a berkly gulp waxie, blood red being my prefered color. If the bite is really tough, I've even used a #12 dry fly hook w/ a tiny split shot a foot up the line with a gulp waxie. I've even caught spot tail shiners on this set up, kind of funny! With this set up, I can catch both gills and crappies. Sometimes it's tough to catch gills on minnows unless they're big gills.

Brian

Move. First try moving around the lake to other likely spots.

If that doesn't work, try a different lake. jmho: there are way too many good lakes to spend a month on an unproductive one.

I am basically fishing this lake because we have lived here the last year, and long story short-no public access-haven't been able to get my boat on here yet-figured I would ice fish it first. My mobility is limited for fishing other lakes in the area. We have tried waxies-minnows-glo jigs-plain hooks, just about everything in my tackle box. It is a 74 acre lake with max depth of 62 feet and other people have told me the fishing should be good. Hope we didn't buy on a dead sea.......................

I have fish quite a few lakes in that area, and the crappies seem to be unique to each body of water. Ex, bite time, movement of bait, types of bait, etc.

That's odd, in my experience whenI see suspended crappies THEY BITE.. If you've been on them a month with no luck they gotta be something else. Is there tulabies in that lake??? Like someone else said could be gills too?? Well good luck

Hanson Lake by Wabana and yes there are Tulabies. I am not going to give up without a fight. I am a stubborn old Swedish broad that has tons of determination. I have decided to keep moving around and searching. There are other people who have told me that they have fished it before and it was good. So full speed ahead and back to the bait store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe me, there are PLENTY of craps in hanson. It's a tremendous numbers lake. I've caught as many as 100 crappies by myself in a day out there. Most are between 8-10", but I've never got one bigger than 11". And those are tullies out deep. I had the same frustrations when I started fishing the lake. Keep looking around, you'll find 'em. And you'll know when you do, cuz they're usually very willing to bite. Don't be afraid to throw down a tipup when you find the craps, too. There's some big pike in that whole chain.

Hate to say it, but, yes that lake has craps, but IT HAS BEEN HIT HARD!!! I mean EXTREMELY hard. I would say that the craps in Hanson need a break for a while. OR, like fishuhalik said, try some tipups out there, nothing could help a crappie population like the removal of some slimers!

After talking to many different people I have come to that realization. So I guess I will have to search elsewhere. I do usually fish tipups too, but have only caught three small northerns so far. I did not get out on this lake until first week in January due to all the snow and the 6" of slush on the lake. I may get over to Wabana soon.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• DLD24
      I like drifting with them and snap jigging them with a controlled fall...Almost every time you'll feel that tick just as it's hitting bottom... Last time I was on mille lacs that's all I could get them to go on. As far as colors I'd just match the forage Tullies in the lake use blue,purples,silvers....Perch use perch colors.. I think the jiggin rap is my new favorite way to fish, but it gets scary with them little hooks when you got a big eye on lol.
    • DLD24
      Fished Big Sandy from 8-2 today and got 10 eyes (no keepers) keeper crappie and perch.... Marked tons of fish, but it was tough to get them to go, Lindy rig with a half crawler was the best by far. I tried leeches,jigging rap, jig n plastic. Points and reefs were the spots, later in the day a lot of fish were off the edges of the reefs... Just one day this year I'd like a happy medium weather wise, either I'm in 4ft rollers or 90 degrees with zero wind haha.
    • Garmandu
      According to Al Linder you can do it all with them...on his video that I watched a while back he was in deeper water throwing into 15 feet and working it back to the boat.  I have not tried it yet but will have to sometime this year.  Sand or gravel bottom would be the best.
    • ANYFISH2
      Just started playing with these this week as a friend has been have goos luck all summer with them on the Cass lake chain. I have not any success yet but not real sure on the best way to use them with my set this week.  My friend searches pods of fish out with electronics then spot locks and vertical jigs. I have no electronics or spot lock so I have been control drifting and jigging.   My questions...   Is there a depth they work better in, shallow vs. deeper?   Better vertically jigged vs trolled vs casted and jigged?   prime colors? of course my be lake dependent.   typically, aggressive jigging vs subtle jigging?   Thanks for tips
    • Perchy
      Yes, insured. I will ask the adjuster, thanks.
    • Captain Acorn
      Thanks cliff and lb I have actually had better luck with the puppet minnows from northland but I have mainly jigged them vertically definently is a fun way to fish 
    • LBerquist
      I've been trolling at about .5mph while using a jigging rap. This way one guy can still drag a lindy. I keep the front hook intact but my boat has contributed about half a dozen to the lake so far this summer. Im still working on getting the hang of it. If I know I'm in a rough area I will attempt to keep the jig from hitting bottom which still seems to be effective. I did pick up a couple off brands that don't have a front hook that I want to try. This is just what I have been toying around with, I'm definitely not an expert at it.
    • fisherjmb
      Hi Everyone, a couple of questions, I know there is free public boat ramp in Stillwater just above the lift bridge. Is there another public boat ramp further down river? I thought I read somewhere that Beanies is or was becoming a free public boat launch. Is that the case? Also, I am thinking of heading there on Monday to try my luck. Any tactics/depths/areas that have been producing for anyone?
    • proguide
      I would call the catfishing this week seasonal.  It is a pretty normal bite for a period of lower water and heat.  The catfish are in post spawn and spread out in their summer haunts.  The more aggressive fish are in the deeper water in the middle of the river.  As usual stay on the move and keep the bait fresh. Bait does not seem to matter still but people with frogs are saying they are getting their better hits with them. 
    • Rick
      Wildlife artists can submit entries for the 2018 Minnesota Trout and Salmon Stamp through 4 p.m. Friday, July 28, according to the Department of Natural Resources.  2017 Trout and Salmon Stamp Competition
      First Place: Timothy Turenne Anglers can purchase the trout and salmon stamp validation with their fishing license for an additional $10. For an extra 75 cents, purchasers can receive the pictorial stamp. It is also sold as a collectible for $10.75. Revenue from stamp sales is dedicated to trout and salmon management and habitat work. Trout or salmon must be the primary focus of the design, though other fish species may be included in the design if they are used to depict common interaction between species or are common inhabitants of Minnesota’s lakes and rivers. Brook trout designs are not eligible this year. Artists are prohibited from using any photographic product as part of their finished entries. Winning artists usually issue limited edition prints of the artwork and retain proceeds. Judging will take place Thursday, Aug. 3, at DNR headquarters, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul. For more information and contest guidelines, visit mndnr.gov/stamps, or call the DNR Information Center at 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.