• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

there are no big gills left in the metro!!!!!

I don't think any one is saying they aren't there (big gills) it's just a bit more difficult to find them now. I remember when (and I hate doing this) I was younger, you could hit a metro lake and slam the big fish. Once the word got out on the bite it would turn into a circus out there! People would haul in limit after limit of nice fish (me included) from these lakes.The lake would be fished out of the bigger fish within a week! probably a lot of people on this forum who know exactly what I'm talking about. I think what we and the DNR need to do is try and make sure the scenario doesn't repeat time after time. If we really want to protect and improve the fishery we need to take some sort of action now! JMO ole

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GoggleEye

• gotcatfish

• blackdog1101

• maxing45

Big gills are getting tougher to find, I have found decent ones no more than five minutes from home. Earlier this year there were a ton of shacks and people out there every day, now just acouple a week. I am fishing 12FOW but most fish marked on the vex are from three to eight feet down. Gills are range from 7-9.25 and i did get one 10.25, but i still manage to get some 3 and 4 inchers. Not sure if its because fishin pressure is down on my lake or just found the right spot? They are still around sometimes closer than a guy might think.

MnSportsman....

Well said, people like you get the jist of it, but I just don't think the general fishing public has a clue what it takes to keep lakes healthy - fish population/size wise. And until they figure it out, the lakes will suffer in the metro and beyond for years to come. No doubt about it, the ice fishing boom has hurt the panny population most of all. Like you would ever see 75-100 people fishing Carls on a weekend day in the summer like it does in the winter.

Carls-------the next Parley

Quote:
It would definatly help, but wont happen. What would we all fish for in the spring? No way im going carp fishing! Im not going to stop fishing in the spring because the panfish are spawning, I dont fish for numbers, only size, and spring is the best time to find them, and once opener hits, I am done with panfish until winter.

Thats my point Chad, you go for the size and your taking those big bluegills off their beds and people keep them and wonder why the population of bigger ones goes down the drain. Also there are plenty opportunties to fish in the spring for walleyes and northerns on the border water lakes (Lake of The Woods, Rainy, Big Stone, St. Croix, Lake Pepin, Mississippi) and sucker spearing is a blast too, which IMO is a lost art. Plus everyone talks about global warming but I was still ice fishing up until April 19th last late ice and I could of pushed it more if I would of had planks but I decided it was to risky. I just figured since walleyes, bass, muskie, and northern are closed during their spawning time panfish should be no different.

Quote:
Most of those gills in the cabelas tank are obviously unrealistic to catch in a minnesota lake. Some of those gills are pushing a couple pounds, maybe even over that.

Goggleye those bluegills are nice when I went to Cabela's back in late December but I remember last year I went there for the first time and they weren't that big, but seemed grow some and got bigger than the year before. My buddy and I figured the biggest one was maybe 1 lb 12oz or just over 1 lb 8oz. I honestly don't really think there were any of them close to 2 lbs or over, but who knows until you take the big ones out and weigh them on a digetal meat scale. Also yes there bluegills that size in many lakes in Minnesota, its just people don't take the time or have the patientence to find them and wait for them to feed, because its easy to catch 7-9 1/2" bluegills but the big guys (10-12")are alot smarter than what most anglers give them. Plus I know there are 2 pound blugills in lakes within this state....probably not in any lakes from Brainerd on south but they are out there, you just gotta put in your time and do a lot of scouting.

Bluegill, I know there may be some big bluegills in some waters off the beaten path, but those bluegills in the cabelas tank have got to be close to maxxing out soon. Some of those fish have back humps so big now they look like tumors!! If you know of a lake that has bluegills that big, I will pay all expenses involved for you to take me there!!!! I'll even go blindfolded if need be!! grin.gif\:Dgrin.gif\:D Good luck!

GoggleEye

what if i can get you a chance to swim with them at cabelas. kind of like a swim with the dolphins deal?

If I understood correctly, I also really agree with what Mnsportsman said, except I think a protected slot for northern pike like there is on a number of lakes (24"-36" must be released) would be much more beneficial for all species in most of our lakes in the long run, than a minimum for northerns.

But there used to be some massive sunfish in my pond 40 yards from my house, untill we had a die off of the larger fish a couple summers ago, probably cause there were too many weeds in too small of an area that respired C02 at night, and with hot water temps was too hard on the fish. But before that we had caught pumpkinseeds, yes pumpkinseed sunfish, to 10.5", I didn't weigh some of the biggest ones, cause we would just catch measure and release them fast, but a couple we did and there were a number definately well over a pound. The kind of sunfish that will hit a small fly but also believe it or not smash bass plastics I was testing out with 4/0 hooks and get caught. There was also crappies up to 14" but for some reason they were paper thin.

Yeah those bluegills are pretty big there, I don't think they are even close to maxing out, but I wish you could view them from up above to see how thick they are because seeing them through that glass from the side messes with your eyes. Also there are alot of lakes out there that hold nice fish, just as big as the ones in cabelas, I'm not gonna take you there or show or tell ya even if I did know. It's all about putting in your time, doing your research, learning feeding patterns, and having a bit of luck to go with it all. Once you do that, and catch big fish you become so much more a better angler its amazing IMO. There really is no short cuts to catching big panfish just like everything else in life you gotta work at it and hope they coperate. Thanks for Good Luck charm Goggle, I'll use it wisely during late ice, and also good luck to you, one more week of the holy walleye season so catch a few for a fresh walleye fish fry cuz your gonna have to wait till May to do that again! grin.gif

I feel there will always be "meat hunters", thats how its been and how it always will be. However there is a growing number of people that are becoming educated on catch and release and that is great. In order to tone down the "meat hunters" I beleive that slot limits are great, but also having a max size that must be released is beneficial. A lake that is suffering from overpopulation of small fish will only grow larger fish by having those small fish weeded out. This enables the abundance of forage to increase, allowing fish to grow larger, instead of being stunted. So, if people keep small to medium fish and release larger ones, that will create the best balance. I've heard so many people brag about how they release all walleyes over 20", but they wouldn't ever consider releasing a 10" gill or 13" crappie. Releasing large fish is essential with panfish, just as it is with any other species. If I had it my way, anglers would be allowed to keep their limit of fish under a certain length, with one fish over a certain max length, enabling anglers to keep that trophy to mount if they desire (graphites are the way to go, but thats just me). In addition to that, spearing would have the same regs, but have a tagging system, much like sturgeon, one fish over a certain length per year. Spear fisherman generally target the large fish, and that alone can wipe out big pike. Of all fish, big pike are the most delicate to a body of water. Once the big ones are gone, they are gone for good. Stocking can't bring them back, thats why they are so rare. There have been countless studies done on that, yet anglers continue to harvest big pike to eat. I don't get it, but anyways, thats my two cents, love it or hate it. Good fishin' everybody.

Twins 57 Fan, if you can get me in that tank, I'll take you up on your offer. If I can't fish for them bull gills in that tank, I'll settle for an up close and personal look!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Bluegill, I know finding the big dogs is all about putting your time in, and I was just kidding around about you taking me to a lake where they are. I like to put my time in, and I have done so for the past 13 years or so. If it were easy to find fish like that, why would I fish?? I think the main reason most people fish is because of the challenge presented and the rewards your hard work provide on some outings. At least that is how I feel....others may not. I have found big bull gills in the past on several occasions, most of which have been found on accident on flowages and under-fished rivers. Unfortunately, most of these honey holes were in southern WI where I grew up. eek.gif I'll take your advice, and run and gun for some late season walleyes today and then it's on to panfish from here on out. Good luck and post some pics of some big gills if you find em!

Infishquinn, well said! Big Pike are very fragile despite what most think! There are millions of hammer handles out there, but very few 35"+ pike. I don't understand why people keep and eat the big ones either when they can keep a few hammer handles and have just as much meat with much less bioaccumulation levels!! sick.gif\:o Big Pike are a true rarity, (unless you are in Canada or the boundary waters).

GE