• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

10 guage

CrappieKiller01

Just wondering what ppl have used and liked about them. i am looking at getting the browning gold with 28 inch barrel. And also what shells are working the best for you?

Buy a used BPS 10ga. Cause in a few yrs when you realize that the 10ga load has been left behind by manufacturers you wont be stuck with a thousand dollar gun that has no trade-in value. At least thats what happened to me. Used BPS can be found for $350. One upside is with that 10# pump the recoil isnt too bad. If you shoot the 1 5/8oz load of BBB or T you can really kill geese out there at the end of the decoys.

get a 870 12 gauge that shoots 3 1/2 and you'll be making a better choice IMO...I don't have trouble killing geese and mine only shoots 3 inch. Get a box of premium loads in the late season if you're worried about knockdown power.

Originally Posted By: Mr.Seaguar
Buy a used BPS 10ga.

Do NOt buy one of them......Do you even know what BPS stands for?

Clue #1.

Big Piece of ______!

I have a bps 10 ga myself, nice gun, but it just sits and collects dust. When steel first came out it was beneficial to have a 10. Now one can reload 3" 12 ga shells that have more speed and energy than any store bought 10 ga shells. With advancements in steel technology and other alloys any 3" 12 ga will perform well with store bought ammunition, exceptional if you reload. Plus you can still use it for other types of hunting. If you still want more punch go with a 3 1/2", but it'll help only your confidence. A 10 ga is out dated in my opinion. Plus they are tanks to carry. Buy a 12 gauge! The most versitile shotgun you can buy.

i have a sp10 remington and i love it but it's only good for one thing and thats pass shooting, way to heavy to be swingin in the dekes, that's where the extrema comes in, i woukd honestly say a 3.5 12 would be the way to go. still love the 10 for spring snows though, when they are "up'' there a ways. ;\)

thats just it. i am going to be doing alot pass shooting and flock jumping this sprig in SD. I have the SBE 2 which holds ten 3 inchers. And also have the Xtrema. Looking to trade in the Xtrema on the ten guage. Some may say shells are more expensive but i have found winchester supremes for only 18 a box and cleared them out at walmart. i held up the BPS and just didnt care for the feel as the auto felt just like the SBE 2. Keep the comments coming. thanks

I will put a 10 against any of your 12 gaugs super guns. I also think there will be plenty of 10 gauge ammo around for a while "discontinued I think not". I use it in my layout blind ALL the time for decoying, passing,high or in your face geese. If the weapon is too heavey for ya, your gettin to old! I think 3 1/2 inch loads are way over-rated. I have the 10 for geese and the 12 for ducks. I even sometimes have them both in my blind with me at times, I like them so much.

i would have to agree the best with you sig. last year one guy with a ten guage and wow i was amazed. one jump alone he got 23 birds. yes it is flock shooting but still when all 6 of us with 3.5 inch were like shoul we try to take a poke at them. then the ten guage goes of and geese fall.

I do recommend a 26 inch barrel it is lighter, quicker and faster swinging. I shoot a gold 10 and 12 and also have a bps 12. I think its "woodducks" operator error rather than the gun. It is a FINE pump shotgun and for the $ you got your self a [PoorWordUsage]-of-a-cannon.

Crappie, for pete sake a 10 gauge will always out perform your 12 if you don't shoot. sleep.gif Like sig said the operator has a lot to do with it. Hence I'll put my 12 ga 3" reloads and a benelli up against any 10. I'll have 2 birds down b4 you get those tanks up to your shoulder. And a 3rd b4 sig decides what gun he's using. grin.gif(relax, just a little ribbing, all in fun) I understand, I'm addicted to buying guns also. If you have the money buy it.

I have the SB# 2 with the pattern master. yes its a good gun. awesome at clays and ducks and geese. just trying to get the leading edge over some of the guys i hunt with thats all. we usually have a competition who gets there truck bed full first gets free drinks all night when done hunting. giwoyna5 just curious what is it that you put in your shells. and how much is it a box.

Understandable. Friendly compition, part of huntin right?

My best loads are a BBB for geese moving something like 1620 fps. I've buckled honkers @ like 60-70 yards with these. The oz of shot? Can't remember as it is a certain number. 62 pellets I believe. I made a dipper that has 62 indentations that precisely count out each load. I use a 3 shot for ducks and late season pheasants that is leathal. I want to say a 1 3/8 oz load that is moving over 1600fps too. cost? I want to say $12-14 a box, but powder and shot are insane now. Could be more.

Honestly, I haven't crimped a shell in years. I perfected the loads 6 or 7 years ago, when I was really into reloading. Right about this time my old lady took off so I would just sit home get sh*%t-faced and pump out shells. I bet a couple thousand rounds or more until my supplies ran out. I still have 6-700 rounds of these. When I finally woke from my funk I up and left No Dak, moved to Brainerd and took a few years off from hunting all together. I slowly got back into it when a friend dusted off my bow and took me hunting. I then remembered how much of a passion I have for hunting. Now my boy's getting older and wants to go. So in August I moved back and this last fall was a blast. He shot his first rooster this year. Can't wait 'til next fall! I have to go thru my stuff and see if I can find those recipes dust off the reloader and do some pricing of supplies. I'm sure I'll burn those shells up pretty quick now. Sorry for the long story, I just didn't want you to think I was full of s*%t.

good to see that you are getting back out there with a future hunter. wouldnt mind sending me a good recipe. i use to reload myself and is now collecting dust. used to make a 2.25 oz lead 4 shot. gave it to couple buddies and they found out they didnt even need to pump there guns. then one chamber cracked on one of theres and i stopped making them. but wow what a punch it was. pheasants way out there hardly ever had a chance.

I own a over and under ten gauge that is all i use for ducks and geese. I would not give it up for the world. Yes it is heavy but shells are the same price as 12 gauge and it is a great conversation piece.

Hey crappie, I have a Browning gold 26" barrel, I'd be willing to trade for extrema, being I don't hunt geese much anymore. I sent you an email but the admin might big brother me

If you could send me picture of the gold 10. i might consider trading. Currently working on two gun smiths to see who can give the best price for the ten guage and also a case or two of shells. Have always doen this in the past and saved alot. Reeds is known for this buy the gun and save 10 percent on shells and no sales tax.

Originally Posted By: crappiekiller1
sorry never posted my email. it is [email protected]. sorry for the hassle. i will try and get pictures up tonight as i am at work now.
Looks like I have 9 boxes of shells and another half in a belt

ppl with a ten guage what are you using for choke tubes. for decoying ducks and then for pass shooting?

Anyone seen any tens for sale lately. want to get the new duck blind camo gol hunter. only found one in 26 inch though.

I had a 10 Gauge BPS with a 26 inch Barrel I sold it not because it wasn't a good gun. I just didn't use it a lot. They are a great choice for geese or turkey, but if you duck hunt at all you will find that you won't use it that much. Very hard to swing a 10 gauge on a fast flying duck. My 10 gauge could not be beat for geese at 45 to 60 yards. I have a 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch now that gun is almost as good. Not to mention 5 times ligter and easier on the shoulder. I would buy a 12 Gauge 3 1/2 you only get about an 1/8 ounce more of shot between a 10 gauge an 12 Gauge 3 1/2.