Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goose89

Should I or shouldn't I ??

9 posts in this topic

Been thinking about "unwinterizing" (open water fishing) my rig next weekend, weather permitting. I don't have a heated garage. Am I being foolish?? Or am I worrying too much. I don't want to wreck anything with water freezing after I'm done. Is there anything fool proof (I am known to be foolish) that I can do to insure I won't wreck anything on the boat and motor. Is just draining livewell tanks and putting motor down for a few minutes to drain the water out enough?? Or should I white knuckle it until March / April??? Any advice, either way, appreciated.

I would give it a bit yet. Still plenty of fun hard water fishing left yet. I start getting mine ready when the ice gets to thin for my big butt to make it out there.

I have had my boat in the water every february for years. No heated garage and never had a problem. I think it is actually better for the motor to get some run time than sitting for a longer period of time.

You are good to go...... safety and safety equipment would be my biggest concern as you know the water is dangerously cold this time of year.

Life jacket on at all times, preferably someone with you, cell phone charged and in a zip lock baggie.

I usually pull my boat just out of the water and let the boat, motor and trailer drain as close to the bottom of the ramp as possible so you don't ice up the ramp for other boaters.

Good Luck and be carefull!

Without a heated garage if you talking about using the outboard on a lake or river you could risk damage to the cooling system or engine block if it gets cold enough and some water inside freezes. I'm sure they are designed to drain for the most part but is it worth the risk?

Bob

If the gear housing has a crack or leak it could be expensive. After running it maybe drain a drop of gear oil to make sure no water comes out and that it is not milky white. If there is a leak down there and the gear housing fills up with water that water can expand and trash the lower unit. It is not likely this can happen but possible.

thanks for the replies. keep em coming. The rig is new last year, so in cracks or leaks in lower unit as of last fall when winterized. Is is true about potential damage to block or cooling system??? thanks in advance

I guess it depends on how well the cooling system drains when you pull your boat out of the water. If there's any water contained in a tight area such as around the water pump or inside the engine block and then freezes, it could expand and crack something, I would think.

Maybe there's an outboard mechanic that can help us out here.

Bob

As long as your tilt the motor all the way down once you get out of the water and let it drain completely, you will be fine. Give it a couple of minutes, then tilt up to regular trailing height.