Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishingchris

Diamond

17 posts in this topic

has anyone been out to diamond latley? i havent been out there yet this year so was wondering how things were going out there?

have been out a few times with mixed success. Lots of houses out there a few weeks ago but the last time I was there a lot were gone so I'm thinking the action is decreasing.

I've been doing very well up there, just get away from everyone, way away. Everyone is in small areas but the crappies are all over, I've caught them every place I have been just as long as I wasn't close to anyone.

I have not been on the lake for some time. Sounds like the poor lake is get hammered hard.

I spoke with a DNR offical while i was fishing out on green a week ago, and he said the average size crappie now being kept is 7". Thats really sad i remember going out there a few years ago and catching alot of 12" plus crappies. SO I asked him why they are not out there trying to give people over limit tickets and his reply was it takes to much time to catch people in this act.. Didnt know what to reply to that , frustrating answer. But yes the lake has been hit very hard and from what i hear not many people have heard of catch and release yet.

If these want 7-8" crappies Bryant lake in the cities has millions of them. I have brought kids out there fishing for years. You can catch your limit in 30 minutes or less,if your on the fish.

Just got off of Diamond. Stayed away from the crowds. Not much going. A few small perch and some smaller eater sized eyes. Didn't feel like filleting anything tonight so back they went. Plus, I think enough fish have already been killed from that lake this year \:\(

Gonna try a different lake tomorrow....

Diamond is a pretty good sized lake but I imagine it will take some time to recover from the harvest that has taken place out there this winter.

Hoping the walleyes weren't hit as hard as the crappies and there are still a good number of those in my future for the open water season. Otherwise there is always beer and jet skis I suppose.

Thats a pretty good plan "B".......as long as they are not done at the same time grin.gif

How many crappies remain in Diamond? This is getting out of hand

I'm not sure but my suggestion is to try other lakes, there biting on a lot of them in the area

I heard 3, but one may or may not have been caught last weekend with the brief warm-up.

Good point Leech, I try to separate the two activities as much as possible!

this is usally a hot lake for eyes?

Ha Ha Ha probably not anymore,after everyone out there keepin everything!

I was out on Diamond last weekend and caught a few crappies for a meal. I have never seen so many fishhouses on a lake of that size before. I did notice that there were alot of crappies in the 6-7 inch range and alot of 9-10 inch range. I think that the lake should be ok for another year if they all ain't caught this spring. This was my first and only trip there for the season. The way the fish were being caught reminds me of Red Lake in the days of the big Crappie bite.

Last weekend half the houses were gone!

ya, thats crazy that a lake that was always so awesome for eyes, has died that much. I cant believe that. But like you said, if everyone is taking everything home, thats not good at all. Most of them should have been C&R!!