• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

sighting in rifle

savy

will be going on a combo mule deer elk hunt thisa fall out to momtana have not askes the outfitter yet but what should i sight in my270 rifle at am thinking 2inches high at 100yards??I no the 270 is capable of taking elk no problem outfitter has been hunting/outfitting for 39 years so i no the 270 is great. thanks

I have no personal experience with a 270, but from what I have read, that seems about right. I would definately get out this summer and do some shooting on windy days...not like tonight

I also think 2 or 3 inches high at 100 yards is the way to go. I'm not as sold on the .270 for elk though, hopefully you will be able to get a pretty close shot. Good luck and have a great hunt.

The .270 is what my brothers inlaws from mantana mainly use on elk. Sighted in at 2" high at 100 yds. If you have a good guide you should not have to worry about taking that long shot every one from the flat land worries about.

I would consider a .270 for elk as an "expert" elk gun. It will work just fine if in the right hands. 2-3 inches high at 100 yards is just fine, you should be very close a 300 yards. One recommendation that I would have is to spend a little extra and get high quality ammo. The cheap 15 bucks a box stuff is not sufficient for big bodied animals such as elk in my opinion. Good luck!

According to my Hornady manual , a .270 with 150gr spire pt at 2900 fps at 1.7 in hi at 100 yd is dead on at 200 yd, 7.4 in low at 300 yd and 21.6 low at 400 yd .This should put you in the know . Good luck..........

I would try and take a few 200 yards shot to make sure you are hitting where you think you may be. I would not chance a shot at a trophy bull not knowing where the bullet might drop when not taking a few shots at that range.

I went on a mule deer hunt in BC a couple years ago and sighted dead on @ 200yds, which meant I was about 2" high @ 100yds.

Buy quality ammo, something like Nosler accubond, Trophy bonded bearclaw, Hornady's interbond, a bonded bullet. Boattail base, polymer tip. This will give you good accuracy.

What's the most important though is to try different ammo in your gun, all guns shoot different ammo, differently.

Experiment with a few, find the one that groups the best, and go with it.

I've shot my .270 for 15 years or better and consider it to be a fine gun, but as with any rifle shot placement is key.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a .270 for deer hunting with 150 grain Fusions. Great knock-down power, but if you are going for elk, i would buy something with a polimer tip. It's gonna cost ya, but it will be worth it.

I would sight it in to be right on at 200 yards myself. A lot of places in the mountains, you can't see anyfarther than that anyway. 270 is a very fine rifle for Elk. Most people can handle the recoil better than the big cannons anyway. Practice a lot and you will be fine. Good bullets are a must. CAJ