Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shaky legs2

Question for Jon or Kelly

3 posts in this topic

Last year rough ice was the key for finding crappies during the daytime with the limited amount of snow early in the season. With so much snow cover this year does rough ice lose it's advantage or would you still try to find these area or is bottom composition and inside turns more important? Thanks in advance?

I think rough ice or deep snowbanks might have concentrated the fish when everywhere else had little snow. This year we had deep snow from day one over the entire lake. The fish are all spread out and lethargic in the darkness. A school of fish needs a lot of bait fish so the school is hungry. Scattered fish have plenty of food so we get this light bite. IMO confused.gif

This year bottom type seems to be out the window also as we have caught more crappies up in "walleye country" over the gravel/rocks then deeper in "crappie country" over the mud.

Every year when we have a period of time with deep snow we have a slower bite. If this follows regular patterns when we lose some of this snow and expose some bare ice letting the light down there suddenly the big question is, "Where did all these fish come from?"

We have had a few fishermen work rough broken ice this year with little success. Every year is different. We have had some luck in areas that were wind blown earlier in the year and has thicker ice? Kinda hard to find those spots now unless you know where they were before all the wind and snow this year. Most of the crappies we have got have been after 9 at night? Your also lucky to catch any walleyes if you get more then three crappies? There is another thing I have noticed this year that I do not see and will keep searching for that condition but I do not think it exists this year. As soon as you think you have it figured out mother nature shows you whos boss