• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Yes, night fishing is worth it.

Following up on a post a couple of nights ago "Is night fishing worth it?" I did run out after work tonight (Friday) and fished Chester 7-9:15. The whole trip was refreshing. I had not done a night run before and was pleased that the gear all worked out OK. Drilled 3 holes, 20, 27 and 30 feet. Nothing at 20, 30 was fair. 27 feet was the zone. Caught 6 Crappies, most of whom came through at 10 - 15 feet down. Not big. Mostly 8 - 9 1/2 inches. Caught one dinky sunfish right off the bottom. Glow type jigs and eurolarva and or waxworms. In between fish there were usually "marks" to work on. Lots of looks between takers.

I was surprized at the number of vehicles in the parking lot at 6:30 pm. A few still out at 9:30 when I left.

Glad to hear you made it out & had fun! ;\)

Thanks for giving us a report!

I was hoping your first venture out nite fishin' on ice, would be a successful one. Did ya happen to notice if the fish were caught in a certain time frame. or did it seem as though they "came thru" every so often. I am curious.

In answer to question about whether they came through in waves.

From 7 to 9 there seemed to be few times when there was nothing at all at any depth. There seemed to consistently be marks in the 10-12 foot range and also, though less consistent, in the 20 foot range (in 27 fow).

When I was shooting 9 degree cone angle frequently there would be nothing on the sonar until I dropped a jig then marks would appear telling me they were in the area. I had two different size / type of jigs and I would swap back and forth to regenerate interest. Also, I would recharge the glo. So I am pretty confident that I would attract area fish to my hole.

At 9 pm things shut off. Only one mark in the next 15 minutes. I then left rather than strike out for other areas.

I have fished out there at night before, and when it gets dead like that in one spot, I have made a move and found active fish. But usually you need to make a big move distance wise to find them. The crappies out there will keep you very busy when they are on a rampage! Alot of fun.

The crappies just seem to come alive at Chester after dark. I seem to do better with bluegills during the daylight, but either can be caught during both day or evenings out there.