Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cody Lubeley

Lutsen Lakers

8 posts in this topic

I know someone who has a cabin in Lutsen on Caribou Lake and was wondering if there was any Lake trout fishing aruond that area and how to fish for them depths/baits/lures anything is helpful

Thanks

Lubey, no experience there from me, but there are two excellent resources for you.

One is the Sportsman's Connection book of maps for the Minnesota Arrowhead. Tons of maps with all the latest DNR survey info so you can see what's in all the lakes and look at maps to figure out how to fish them. The books are in most of the bait/tackle stores in the Midwest, or you can go online and Google it.

The other is the DNR Lake Finder Web site here. Of course, it doesn't do you any good until you know the name of a lake, but the map book will get you there, and I'm sure someone will chime in with a few lake names.

Good luck up there! grin.gif

alright thanks for the help

what types of structures do you usually look for when fishing for lakers?

From Lutsen you'll want to head over to the gunflint trail to find some prime laker waters. Gunflint is probably the most popular of the lakes...good numbers and trophy potential. Other lakes worth trying would be loon, east bearskin, flour. Saganaga too of course, but it's in the BWCA, so I'm not exactly sure about the access rules. I would do a resort search and find some fishing reports from them.

ok thanks i might give gunflint a shot can you use live minnows?

Yes. Live minnows are allowed on all lake trout lakes.

ok thanks for the info