Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
joeyquicksand*

Grindstone Lake Fishing Reports

reinhard1    48
reinhard1

Grindstone is one of those lakes that freezes up last and thaws out last, but this year is not one of those normal years.  I have been on the Grind one time in March many years ago.  I don't see it happen this year but I do expect a earlier ice out for sure if this above normal temp system stays.  The talk  is that they are going to dredge the landing out to the lake this spring.  That's something that hasn't happend in a long time as well.  It really needs it bad.  I'll be there Saturday fishing shallow for trout.  good luck.

reinhard1    48
reinhard1

Went to the Grind on Saturday.  Sure was a great day to be out.  Only caught one 14 inch rainbow.  Seen some come through but they were tight lipped for sure.  Had a tip up out in 14 feet of water with a shiner.  Last time a nice brown but this time no flag.  Had a inch or so of snow on the ice when I got there and it was all melted and puddles everywhere when I left.  Had 14 inches of ice near shore.  Saw only trucks parked near shore and only ATV's running around on the ice.  Still time for trout but from this point it's ATV or by foot travel.  good luck.IMG_2736.thumb.jpg.2772b4609cd1e0a63478a

cookie129    180
cookie129

trying to figure it out where is grindstone?

leech~~    439
leech~~
8 minutes ago, cookie129 said:

trying to figure it out where is grindstone?

Few miles West of Sandstone MN.

• Like 1

reinhard1    48
reinhard1

Grindstone landing will not be dredged this spring.  Was approved last year and they said that landing was the no. 1 priority.  Was supposed to be dredged last fall actually.  Reason:  haven't found the funds yet.  Amazing.  They have the contractor and the approval and yet no funds going in on the second year.  Kind of pizzes me off.  In real life buisness they find the funds first and then get the job done.  Direct opposite in government.  good luck.

JBMasterAngler    156
JBMasterAngler

This doesn't surprise me in the least. I never believed for one second, that the access was going to be dredged this spring...I don't think it will be dredged this year, period!

• Like 1

reinhard1    48
reinhard1

I talked to the guy last year in July sometime about this.  He told me that Grindstone was the No. 1 priority in landing repair.  That they had the study done [that costs money], the environmental approval,  the contractor approved and price set, in other words everything was approved.  Except they didn't have the money yet and now we are in the second year of "we don't have the money yet".  So we are not spending any money on any landing this year in that area?  They have dredged this landing before so why do they even need a study?  It's been done before and nothing has changed there except the build up leading out to the lake and in the landing area itself.  I'm going to call this guy again and ask some questions regarding where this money is supposed to come from.  Lot of waste in spending in my opinion and I can't believe $16,000 can't be found for this.  good luck.

DrJuice1980    33
DrJuice1980

Launches are going to turn into pay parking lots monitored by camera, just you watch.

maxpower117    19
maxpower117
10 hours ago, DrJuice1980 said:

Launches are going to turn into pay parking lots monitored by camera, just you watch.

I'm not sure I follow this. 

So they'll turn this landing into a pay parking lot with cameras? After they spend $16k on dredging it? And another $40k for the new lot, cameras and hiring people to watch them and empty the pay boxes?

reinhard1    48
reinhard1

This landing has been dredged before, it's just way overdue this time around, and that was many years ago.  Don't know anything about paying at this landing or any other landing.  We are already paying for this upkeep with various fees and taxes.  This landing was priority no.1 as of last year.  This is just typical government slow walk doing the exact opposite in my opinion.  Get the funds and then get the various ok's and contractor and get it done instead of getting all the ok's, contractor and then waiting for the funds.  good luck.

brrrr    3
brrrr

anybody have any updates on the launch? 

SpecialK    2
SpecialK

They were dredging there today. Not sure if they are done or if it will take longer.

JBMasterAngler    156
JBMasterAngler

Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down! :mad: This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 

leech~~    439
leech~~
2 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down! :mad: This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 

Could have throw a line off the south shore since you were all the way up there. :(

SpecialK    2
SpecialK

It's been dredged to 4'. The lake still has a sandbar. He did not dredge past the creek mouth

JBMasterAngler    156
JBMasterAngler

It's going to be filled back in with sand by next spring. I probably should have stopped and fished along the south shore, but I was in a hurry to make it to plan B. Had to go all the way to plan E before I finally found a place to fish :crazy:

Edited by JBMasterAngler

SpecialK    2
SpecialK

I doubt it will be filled back in next spring. It will hopefully be a 3 or 4 years until it happens.  Not much they can really do except keep pulling the muck out of it.

JBMasterAngler    156
JBMasterAngler

Gave grindstone a try yesterday. I guess the dredging made a difference, but had I not known it happened, I wouldn't have noticed. Was a bad day for my outboard to have carburetor issues, as the wind was blowing much harder than the predicted 7 MPH. Battery got drained pretty quick trying to troll with the electric motor in that wind. Regardless, was still a nice day. Caught 1 little smallie, a 28 inch pike (which was a blast to catch on ultra light tackle), and a nice 17 inch rainbow trout.

MarkMN    0
MarkMN

I fished Grindstone Lake on Friday. I was fly fishing out of my kickboat. It was my second time fishing there and landed a real fat 20" smallmouth, and a fat 12" crappie. The wind was a blowing quite a bit more than was forecast so I tucked in behind a point. I'm going to have to fish this lake more often, some interesting structure and nice sized fish.

smallie20.jpg

SpecialK    2
SpecialK

The lake is covered and there are some small shacks out on the south west end of the lake.  No idea as far as thickness goes though.  Hoping there is enough for opener though.

ZachD    355
ZachD

I am planning on heading up for Monday morning anybody have any ice reports?

Jari    2
Jari

My buddy went yesterday for opener. Got some rainbows. Had a couple hits out deep mid day for lakers, no takers.  He said 12" ice, but its probably spotty because of the lake.

• Like 1

DLD24    71
DLD24

This topic being boycotted?? Usually there's a bunch of reports...I plan on heading down Saturday morning...My brother was there Sunday saw a lot but only got a couple...

ZachD    355
ZachD

I never made it out Monday was too tired from fishing Friday - sunday didn't feel like getting up early :crazy: