• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grindstone Lake Fishing Reports

What do you guys use when you're catching smelt? Does anybody ever catch big pike when they're trying for lakers? I'm planning on heading up Friday and I just want to know what I can to do be prepared. I have some white tube jigs and airplane jigs in glow colors and jigging spoons in silver. Anything else I should get? I'll be trying for lakers.

KG said he talked to a guy and there was 10-11 inches.

Thats not to bad then. If the weather stayed cold there may have been enough ice to drive a truck out, but with the "warm front" and 30's coming our way I don't think we'll make much ice by friday. I think I am going to hold off for a week before going up.

I was planning on it, but unfortunately something came up so I'm going to Lake Cenaiko for rainbows instead. Hopefully I'll be up there soon, though!

Going to hit the hill snowboarding with a cutie I just met tomorrow. Saturday, I'll be out on Grindstone. Hopefully later than earlier.

people keep talking about red barn, Where is the red barn on the lake?

are there any other access points? (camps, resorts, business, public access)

Just looking for different access points, because can't drive on lake, and don't have sled or wheeler.

thanks.

Im going to guess that people were driving out if there was not a problem with slush. Looking to go on monday.

Maybe room for 1 or 2 to park thats it. No parking on the road there. Heck that road is barely wide enough for 2 cars to pass.

There were truck all over the north end on Friday. I had 14" of ice where I was sitting, I was sure that no one would be driving on the lake but they were all over the north end. I just wish the lakers would have been all over the north end! I ended up finding a good area but didnt have enough time to fish it hard so all I ended up with was a big smelt! The smelt were in there though!

can you use live minnows on grindstone. Never been on it and my son wants to go for his 16th birthday this weekend. Also, any tips on icing trout would help. I am decent on soft water, but never chased them in winter.

I will be there early Saturday staying near and returning with Jari on Sunday. I would not recommend driving on this lake as ice conditions change quickly out there. Since I wont be driving out, I would offer my trout knowledge to anyone with a wheeler or snowmobile who can help us get on the spots. I have landed lakers up to 4 lbs up there and have extra gear. They are hard to locate, but almost ALWAYS bite after located on electronics. Also, there are spots that offer bonus smelt, pike, and streamers on the same tackle.

dkhntr - Grindstone is not a designated trout lake and live minnows are allowed. You do need a trout stamp to possess trout though.

[email protected]

-Andy

Is there any difference from fishing the south end as opposed to the north end? Just seems like the north end is always the place that gets fished. Just wondering.

Thanks on that. Got the trout stamp from my SE stream this summer. HOPEFULLY I will do good this weekend. Now just have to fire up snowmobile.

JB,

If I'm mobile, I like to start in the south end early and move north midday. I just seem to mark more fish that way on the graph. South end has a deep reef and a point. North-west part has a good point and nice deep contours out from the stream. It's easy to arrive late and launch and fish the north end though!

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, it's tough for me to get up there early in the morning. I guess I'll just see where the empty places are and go from there.

Sleet/rain and winds 20-25 up there Saturday. Looks like a Sunday outing. Roads could be bad!