Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markkstanley

Pool 4 report 2/7

2 posts in this topic

Heard some reports and just had to go check it out. Popped into Everts to pickup some new ringworm colors and get the lowdown from Dean and headed up to the Y. Tried some of my vertical jigging spots and caught a couple of nice sauger. Time to switch things up and started to drag jigs. For those unfamiliar with the technique you make a full cast with your jig behind the boat and adjust your line until you are just above the bottom. Inspite of the name you do not want to be constantly dragging on the bottom. Just an occasional tick. You want to also maintain your boat speed - I found .5mph to be the ticket both upstream and downstream. Used a 3/16oz to 1/4oz jig going downstrean and a 5/16oz jig going upstream. Took a long drift to find exactly where the fish were holding but then it was lights out. Nothing under 15" and the largest taped out at 24". Two to four fish every pass through the area and they were feisty. Popping the jig now and again resulted in some violent strikes. Had a blast and can't wait to get back. Orange jighead combined with either a firecracker/chartreuse tail or a oystershell/chartreuse tail were the best combos.

Best bite is at low light periods sunup to around 10AM (I was too lazy to hit that but Dean said it has been very good) and then it picks up again around 2PM past sundown. No walleyes this trip, just sumo saugers but that will soon be changing. And the best thing of the day - only saw one other boat the whole time. It is a rare thing to have that stretch of the river to yourself.

Nice report Mark. And to think I was down stream a ways on 26" of ice doing the same thing with Buckshots and Rattlin' Varmints...