Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markkstanley

Pool 4 report 2/7

2 posts in this topic

Heard some reports and just had to go check it out. Popped into Everts to pickup some new ringworm colors and get the lowdown from Dean and headed up to the Y. Tried some of my vertical jigging spots and caught a couple of nice sauger. Time to switch things up and started to drag jigs. For those unfamiliar with the technique you make a full cast with your jig behind the boat and adjust your line until you are just above the bottom. Inspite of the name you do not want to be constantly dragging on the bottom. Just an occasional tick. You want to also maintain your boat speed - I found .5mph to be the ticket both upstream and downstream. Used a 3/16oz to 1/4oz jig going downstrean and a 5/16oz jig going upstream. Took a long drift to find exactly where the fish were holding but then it was lights out. Nothing under 15" and the largest taped out at 24". Two to four fish every pass through the area and they were feisty. Popping the jig now and again resulted in some violent strikes. Had a blast and can't wait to get back. Orange jighead combined with either a firecracker/chartreuse tail or a oystershell/chartreuse tail were the best combos.

Best bite is at low light periods sunup to around 10AM (I was too lazy to hit that but Dean said it has been very good) and then it picks up again around 2PM past sundown. No walleyes this trip, just sumo saugers but that will soon be changing. And the best thing of the day - only saw one other boat the whole time. It is a rare thing to have that stretch of the river to yourself.

Nice report Mark. And to think I was down stream a ways on 26" of ice doing the same thing with Buckshots and Rattlin' Varmints...

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Fishalittle
      Yes the pressure has decreased the walleye population. My question is this....what is the target walleye population goal? I do believe there may have been an abundance of fish a few years back that would not be healthy for the lake either. Are we at the "proper fish level" now and this will be the typical pattern moving forward or where are things at? Only lake surveys and biologists can tell that story. You still see some reports of excellent fishing but I have heard a lot more poor reports this season than prior years but there are some environmental differences also....(snow levels, pressure ridges, cracks).   I don't make the trip to red to be able to fill my freezer.....I make the trip for my kids to have action and make memories. This last trip was a slow one but we had a beautiful 36" pike come visit and made some great memories as it tangled all the lines for my wife and daughters. I was called back to the house to assist as I was off setting up the portable for our next searching spot. Made it just in time to pull it out of the hole for her! Lots of smiles and some wide eyes from my youngest daughter! Can you provide a date for this photo? Nice shot for sure, thanks for sharing!
    • side_laker
      That's an impressive photo 
    • jerkbait
      I am having the same luck as you Big A. I figure that the fish gods are angry at me.
    • PLfisherman
      With the weather conditions what are peoples  thoughts with their well houses. I'm going up north till Sunday afternoon wondering if   i should take my house off or not. I have a  truck and no 4 wheeler. Don't want it too be stuck out there when I get back.
    • monstermoose78
      I went to lake osakis and got my butt handed to me. I fished hard and cut holes for deep to shallow. I tried about everything in my bag of tricks to get them gills and crappies to bite. Nothing was working from 2mm jigs with a euro or micro plastic to jigging spoons. For fishing all day I caught one 8 inch bluegill. But I am looking at it as a learning experience and will help me be thankful for those slower days I have. I am going to hit a couple winter kill lakes this weekend. Best of luck to you all