• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

URL Forum Activity

rainylakefisher

I've noticed a dramatic decrease in the posting activity on the URL forum this year which suggests the interest in URL has waned considerably. I've enjoyed spending time on the lake for the last 7-8 years, and still intend to visit, but you can tell the reduced crappie numbers and two fish walleye limit are having an impact on how many people are willing to make the five hour drive to what is still a pretty spectacular place to fish.

For anyone that didn't get a chance to visit a few years ago during the heydays, you missed out! It was quite a spectacle and I'll certainly tell my kids about the good ol' days on URL. The lines of people getting on or off the lake, and the sea of lights at dusk was pretty cool. The lit-up Vexilar and aggressive bites of the monster crappies and pesky walleyes was a lot of fun, but I fear I won't see it quite like that again. I'm not saying it's dead, but it isn't like it used to be...

well said rainylakefisher.i havent been up there the last 2 winters.till this yr i made 1 trip so far.it was great fishing caught alot of eyes.and brought home 2 keepers.as for the crappies we managed to get 3.i sure do wish it was like it was.but oh well still nice to go up there and try it once in awhile i guess.

It's definitely not as good as it once was. I feel very lucky to have gotten limits 4 out of 5 times last year. I think this winter might be the last time I come up there regularly. Thinking about making Winnie our new lake of choice.

I have fished the lake regualrily since '99... my wife says to 'regularily'!

I don't see any amount of fish, good or bad, big or small deterring my visits up there. I've made some very close friends with many people whom call Waskish home and that alone is reason enough to get me to come up. The area supports much more recreation than a bucket of crappies and a day on that lake is a definite elixar to the soul...

Too bad many guys will never know the lake and the Waskish area and it's residents for more than a quick limit of crappies! But as with all things outdoors related, the majority of guys will move on to the next "hot Spot", but that's O.K. as we just have more room for ourselves at the "old spot"!

Ol' Red will keep amazing us with what she will put out... it may not be 15 crappies in an hour, but a few crappies, a few walleye, a couple of dandy perch, a pike or 3 and hopefully again in the near future some fabulous whitefish, should keep a guy plenty interested in making many return trips!

Good Luck!

Ken

Red lake is still a hot spot. How many lakes can you go to and catch walleyes all day long, and for a bonus pick up a few nice crappies. It's not always about the limits, its about catching fish and having fun. I have had the most successful trips there this year. Hopefully the walleye population will stay the same or it will be just another mille lacs, winni, leech lake.

Yeah, I don't think it is a secret that the crappie fishing on Red has slowed down considerably. Still, even back in the day, I don't remember catching crappies on Red being as easy as a lot of people on here make it sound. If memory serves, I've limited out on crappies on Red maybe 4 times in the past 10 years of going there - probably 15 days total. The times I limited out I was done in a matter of a few hours or less. The last time being 3 years ago. Maybe I just stink at fishing, but I think that a lot of people choose to only remember the good days and block out the bad. Probably why most people keep fishing and why you always hear them refering to the good ole days.

These days, I think people expect wayyyy too much of certain lakes - Red, LOTW, and Mille Lacs - and forget that fishing is still fishing. It's all about being there at the right time in the right place with the right presentation. Time on the water is key...so is patience.

I'll give em that LOTW sucks. I think that place is the dead sea!!! I stay on URL when the group goes to LOTW.

Originally Posted By: rainylakefisher
which suggests the interest in URL has waned considerably.

You should man my phones for a day...please? grin.gif\:D

Just a thought... In addition to everyone's thoughts I think gas prices might be a huge factor? I'm from down near Iowa and have seen more permanents on area lakes than ever before this year. I've noticed a bit of a decline in numbers of non-rentals up there and LOW in the last few years.

Originally Posted By: Roughneck17SC
I'll give em that LOTW sucks. I think that place is the dead sea!!! I stay on URL when the group goes to LOTW.
roflmfaoooooooo dead sea to funny

Many things have lead to the overall activity level going down. I don't think that's a bad thing. I used to go 6-8 times a year. Now I'm down to once a year, and haven't been there yet this year. Gas prices are a big part of that. Gas is almost double what it was just 5 years ago. The chance to bring home 15 crappies was definately more enticing than a chance to bring home 2 walleyes. Those are just facts. The lake is still spectacular. The lake still gets a lot of pressure. Hopefully everything is in better balance now, including the amount of fisherman on the lake. With all that being said, I think it's time I get back up there........

I've fished URL about 15 times now in the past 4 years. This does in no way shape or form make me anything close to an expert.

Having said my legal disclaimer, holy cow, URL is one of the more amazing fisheries I've ever had the privilidge of fishing. I don't know of too many other lakes where I can go get very nice perch, crappies, walleye, and pike out of the same hole, in the same day.

I didn't hit URL during the "Crappie Boom" so maybe it isn't what it once was for catching a ton of crappies. However, I've sure caught my share of dandies out of that lake. As a matter of fact I just looked at the 3- 15 1/2 inchers hanging on my wall from that lake.

For those who think the fishing activity is down, call any of the outfitters and reserve a fish house for next weekend. Good luck finding an open one.

The only downside I see to URL is the distance it is from my home. I can only imagine heaven being a lake like URL in my backyard.

2 weeks to slabfest!!!!

I'm with Boilerguy on this one, I wish Red Lake was closer to home, I'd be there every weekend!!!

I did talk my brothers into heading up to Red 7-8 years ago when we heard the rumors of big crappies and it was fablous crappie fishing!!! You could set your house down anywhere and catch a limit of BIG crappies!! You couldn't sit down and clean your crappies without your bobber going down! I also have memories of the open water fishing for crappies, sitting in seven feet of water, 2 foot rollers coming in, and catching crappies on 13 straight casts!! And also memories of pulling in two 38 inch northerns in one day on rattle reels. Memories of catching my first eelpout and seeing all the dead eelpout on the lake. And I've also had memories spending the whole weekend and catching 4 fish total. And memories of those pesky walleyes bothering us, they weren't legal at the time so we called them 'rough fish'.

Heading up this weekend and can't wait to make more memories!!!

I'm not entirely convinced that a drop in forum activity equates with a drop is fishing activity. This winter, I haven't posted near the number of questions that I put up last year.

Two reasons: #1 How many times can ya ask the same questions? #2 I've been fishing more. \:\) Just not enough.

I have noticed a drop in activity in other forums as well. More people working and more people fishing equals less down time?? As far as the LOTW vs. Red argument, Red is closer to home and is more of a sure thing for the $. In my little experience, I've found LOTW to be better in quantity of fish caught but less in quality. I also have friends with exactly the opposite experience. Hit them both in the same trip, I guess is the solution.

Don't worry.

It's that magical time of year people start asking if they should bring the extension.

That usually generates some activity.

\:D\:D

I have noticed a big drop in forum activity on every location. I think its just getting to that time of year when people start looking forward to spring and summer and leave the jig stick sitting in a bucket. I asked the question about a month ago on when is the best time to come up to Red. I think Kelly-P responded saying late Febuary into March. Not only because the crappie fishing might be better but also because 90 percent of the fisherman have called it a season by then. I was checking out Fleet Farm today hoping they had some good sales on ice fishing stuff and I couldnt help but notice the pattle boat, grills and summer clothing on display already. I had to laugh thinking I got two months of ice fishing left!

up late ice is a good time fishing.cant wait till march then i'll brake out 4 wheelers for 1 last trip on the lake.