• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report 2/6

uwleagle

Went out late afternoon to try for a couple eyes. Ended up catchin (and releasing) this northern. Put up a pretty good fight on a light action rod with 4 pounds test. Probaby took me 10 or 15 minutes to get in. Was pretty fun but was a little dissappointed it wasnt an eye. Didnt have anyone with me to take of pic of me holding it so the pic isnt very good. My ruler only goes to 24 inches but i figured it was about 36 inches maybe 13 or 14 pounds. First day out in while I havent caught a walleye though. Will be out early in the morning to try again.

100_0452.jpg

nice pike uwleagle, must have bent that lite pole big time. How deep of water were you fishing in? I too will be out in the morning, will try for walleye in front on Bayport Beach.

I was in 17 ft. I'll be on the ice in the morning around 6am. I'll be fishing on the Wisconsin side though.

You know... I am pretty new to fishing the Croix... I have been on it 4 times now... I tend to try to stay away from the suburbs of bayport (Shanty towns) and have tried to find a spot that is less the 36fow... I finally found a map last night... and it looks to me like you have to sit practically off the shore for the shallower water... Is this where one might pick up the walleye or saugers... or maybe some large snot rockets???

does the map you have shows the depth of the rivers and structures...? and where did you find it if you don't mind telling.thanks!

Most area bait shops carry the Hot Spots maps. These are pretty good. They show the major structures, the "Hot Spots" and tips on how to fish them. Got mine at the bait store on the south side of Stillwater.

And, welcome ivycreek! You're hooked now.

I actually found the map in the wal-mart in hudson... in the fishing area... it wasn't real detailed... but gave a general idea of depths and what not... basically like the blue lake books you can buy. I didn't buy it , just looked at it. Basically what it told me is it drops off fast from shore, and is a 30+ foot flat, and the little shanty town next the access must be sitting on a little deeper hole...

Thanks! I was just introduced to this forum A few weeks ago when I was fishing up at my brother-in-laws over by st cloud... it's kind of handy... or if nothing else, a spot where I can do something when I'm not fishin.

I have one of the maps that you can buy and it doesn't give you very much detail at all. I just bought a GPS with a lakemaster chip and if you look at that their is way more structure such as points that stick out and other smaller holes. They are a little expensive but extremely nice to have if you do a lot of fishing and hunting. For walleyes I've just been fishing off the end of one of the points in 17 or 18 feet of water. Send me an email if you want some help or want someone to fish with sometime ([email protected]). I often fish alone.

As for this morning the fishing was very slow. Fished for walleyes from 6:30 to 8:30 didn't have any bites and didn't mark anything on the vex. Moved to three different spots for crappies. Fished till 11:30. Marked fish but they were not active at all. Ended up only catching three.

I'm heading to Bayport now. Look for the little red truck and purple otter in my avitar, stop and say hi.

Beautiful pike, nice and healthy! I haven't heard of many big pike coming outta the croix, maybe it's a well kept secret! I'm thinking about heading out there tomorrow to try for some eyes and/or craps. Maybe I'll see some of you out there!

I found shallower water! I marked lots of fish on the bottom 3ft, but nothing would bite tonight. I encourage you to stay legal... Hudson warden is a very nice guy, but as always, be smart. Was checked twice today, once on pine lake, and then on the river. First time EVER. Good luck! Stay warm!

DonBo, were you out there tonight from 6:30-10:30ish? I may haver driven past your truck , and was actaully going to stop and see what you were catching... but, I hate bothering guys unless they're out and about.

DonBo, I think you may have set up next to me friday (2/8). Two younger guys in the voyager and silver ram. Wish I would have known you were an FMer...

It was my first ice fishing the St. Croix and talk about frustrating! Ive gotta ask the veterans here, is it common to mark so many fish and have so few bites? We were out from 1-730 and only caught 1 decent sauger, a crappie, and a white bass. Tried everything spoons, demons, plain hooks with minnows, heads, waxies, plastics. All seemed to get lookers.

Anyone have any sort of advice to throw me? Maybe it was a slow day?

Turnup, very typical out on the river. It can get very frustrating at times. However those times that the fish turn on can be a lot of fun. Put your time in and those blips on the screen will end up on the end of your line!!!

I was out Friday between 3 - 6:30. South of shack town. Had a pretty good night. Kept 5 from 9 1/2 - 10 1/2". Marks tons of other fish. You are right about how frustrating it is to mark so many and catch so few, but it was worse this morning. (2/9)

Fished from 6:30 - 10:30. Marked more than last night and only caught one. But it was my biggest of the year. grin.gif

Please don't ever hesitate to stop and chat...Always happy to see other FM'rs.

DSC01021.jpg

nice fish, about 13"?

I definately plan fishing the river some more this year.

How far south can one go and still have safe ice? I didnt really see anyone fishing south of the drive-on access on the MN side, towards the railroad bridge. Is that because of bad ice?

There are some bad spots south. Below the dam for Lake Mallelieu, and towards the swing bridge. Seems every year someone goes in the water at the swing bridge, they don't always come out. Please be carefull.

Hey DonBo, looks like you upgraded your fishing rods a bit. Was going to email you that we were going out last Friday when you emailed me, but we got a bad fishing report and headed to a small lake that produced ziltch. I'll have to catch up with you again for sure though, try for some trout maybe. Did you get a portable?

Sandmannd, the gt was a real eye opener for me. Within 2 weeks of that I had new rods, new shack, new flasher...been fishin' 3-4 days a week. My wife is pretty excited about me getting into another expensive, time consuming sport eek.gif, but she loves the fish dinners grin.gif

Good to hear Don, looks like the get together got you into the new and expensive age. Nice to know you're getting more fish because of it.