Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skipper

Crappies are biting

8 posts in this topic

Tonight I went out on a local lake north of Brainerd.

Got there at about 4pm, I had a limit by 5:30. Went home and cleaned fish.

I love the Brainerd Area............

Any help with your find lake depth thanks bb

Originally Posted By: fish_on
huh?

I second that...... confused.gif

Probably asking what depth you were fishing on the lake that you found.

For small lakes here is what I would suggest, after last weekend.

Get a Genz bug, put a clear/white platics body on it, can't remember brand, but the kind with a split tail. Drop it down until you wither bring the crapps up from bottom, or they come in from the side. Most of ours, and the bigger ones, were right about 3-4 feet off bottom in about 17-19 FOW.

This was on small lake, in clear water. The size was from some ssmall ones, but mostly they were from 9.5 to 11 inches. They bit all day, but really from 11am until 2:30, and then from about 4:40 until 7. We put some Gulp spike maggots on with this and it helped during the day, if you can believe that. But at night they wanted the bare plastic.

For just a short period before dark they wanted full fatheads. They bit light, and the locator caught many fish.

Again, this was only one lake, but hopefully it can help you try somethign that might work. Good luck!

Good report Box,

My report is pretty similar. I also use the Gulp maggots. I put them on a 1/16 ounce forage minnow spoon. I like to break one maggot in half, put a piece on two of the three hooks and leave the third bare. This presentation also works well for the sunnies. As far as location, I've been finding them on the sharper breaks that level out at 15-19 fow with a soft bottom. During the day, the crappies haven't been hitting minnows, just the spoon, shrimpos or ratsos. I will also put down a minnow in a hole next to where I'm jigging. The minnow won't get bit, but it seems to keep the school around longer.

And they are still biting,

I have been out several times since my first post. I am sitting in 34 feet of water. They start at about 4pm and I have caught them all the way up till 9pm. They are suspended at about 4 - 10 feet off bottom until dark then they are on the bottom and they will come up to get the bait. You need a spring bobber, I recomend the Kuhlman Enterprises. Action Bite Indicator, you can get them at S&W I am not sure anyone else carries them. But they work very well. They bite very light. Once you have detected the bite the fight is on, and it is fun. Good luck to you all.................