Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DoubleLunger

Pelican Lake Mornings

33 posts in this topic

Anybody ever fish and do very well in the morning out there?

Anyone please, i am heading out there in the morning and want to know if it's even worth it. I know the bite has been pretty good in the evening, but have heard nothing about the morning.

Sleep in or go, that is the question.

i went there a few days ago fished hard no panfish to speak of. 1 5lb northern. my g-pa was there in the morn same day had 8 gills between 2 people in 4hrs.

Thanks gunther. I think i may try, with the cold front coming in Saturday it may be worth my while.

Hope and a prayer.

Find 10 fow. use a pink ratso with a waxie or eurolarva.

is a g-pa some new flasher or what??? j/k

Late afternoon early evening have worked better for me & stay outside the big groups of fisherman. good luck.

I was out there last Sunday morning and had good luck, but I too was away from big groups of fisherman. Caught a few real nice bluegills, almost bulls.

Any luck DoubleLunger? I'm thinking about braving the wind and cold tomorrow morning!

WHITE OUT THIS MORNING! I tried getting the wheelhouse on Pelican this morning, 1st time on the lake. Bad idea! We used the access off of 117 and could hardly see in front of us. After about 10 minutes trying to drive with the outline of the lake on the gps, we gave up and parked it in the driveway again.

Luckily we didn't put it down on the ice. The cable snapped as we were lowering it. That wouldn't have been super fun to change out on the ice!

If it's any consolation you did'nt miss nothing. I was out there at 6am to beat the weather change till around noon and it sucked the bag, the wind and the snow was unbearable. For once the weather men were correct.

That cold weather can sure do some nasty things, im heading out today to try my luck. My bro. had his wheel house out on buffalo the last cold front and snapped the axle on it... Always think twice about what your doing in extreme temps! could save your life..

My daughter and I were out there saturday morning around 730. It was a balmy 23 degrees, light breeze and nothing to be worried about.

As time went on around 930-1000 am the temp dropped and the wind was cranking out of the WNW. Temp dropped to -11.

We toughed it out, and she caught a 1lb+ crappie, about a 12"er.

Left at noon to whiteout conditions.

I've been fishing for quite sometime but never had I experienced such wind and blowing snow before. It was awesome and for some reason I get an adrenaline rush from weather like this!

It wasn't overly fast and furious. Moved around alot until i found them. Ended up in 7 1/2 feet in the weeds and caught about 15 crappies and 6 sunnies. This was after drilling about 50 holes.

A friend of mine says the bite has slowed down alot. The last time he was out him and son only caught 5 sunfish in 2 hrs.

There still there jim.. Been out a few times recently and the fish vary alot, one day we almost seen more pike than gills and crappies and struggled, but the other day we had no problem catching a nice bucket of crappies and gills, we also have been catching a few 13" crappies.. It helps too when you can avoid fishing on the weekends...

What times are the best to hit the lake??I've tryed during the Eve but had next to no luck.Any Ideas would be awesome.Thanks.

Hey Gang,

How was the bite over the weekend? I didn't get a chance to make it out.

Only made it out there for about an hour sat. morning from 8-9am. We picked up a couple 8-9 inchers but none of the big boys.

We tried on Sunday afternoon and did not have any luck. We had the kids with, so we couldn't move around like we normally would have. Oh well, the kids had fun being pulled by the wheeler so that's all that really matters.

Zero flags and Zero fish.

The bite hasn't changed much from before still a little slow..

Any ideas on where to try and catch em?I've heard stay away from everyone but it's a monster of a lake and I'm kinda new to it.I've hunted it a lot but not fished it.We did catch 3 sunfish and 1 small crappie.

I was fishing near all the spear houses off of Cty 119, but like I said, we didn't catch anything. We left around 3:30 and that was when most of the people were coming out to there spear shacks, so maybe the northerns turn on a little later. ??

Northerns seem to have the same amount of activity all day imo. I wish i knew where to send ya bull but the fish seem to always be moving on the lake, i guess you need to just put some time in on a few spots and determine from that where you think the fish are..

Thanks guys.maybe see ya out there.