Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Milkdud

Downrigging on Mille Lacs

12 posts in this topic

I know this topic is a little early but I have always been curious why I never here of anyone downrigging on Mille Lacs. I know people pull cranks using lead core out over the mud flats in deeper water but I never here of anyone using riggers??? Any reasons for that? Just wondering because I would love to give it a try unless there is a good reason not to.

One thing that I can think of is the softer bottom, it seems to me even when running rigs that if I keep the weight out of the mud a little the eyes have a better vision, the only thing i can think of is that you will stir up too much silt and cloud your baits

i dont see why it wouldn't work. its probably not to common because of super lines combined with deep diving lures its not necessary. milacs is a shallow lake and the deep divers can reach productive depths on their own.

Downriggers are used up on LOW over the mud flats and the depth is real similar 32-36 feet of water. I don't think the lead balls would stir up any mud because they would be 4-5 feet above the bottom to allow for the lures to dive a few feet. Thanks for the response just was wondering if anyone has downrigged and how you did!

They would work just fine IMO. I think the reason guys do not use them is because of the clarity on Mille Lacs. Some of those walleye can get a bit spooky and the lead ball may scare them. Shoot, lots of guys, myself included run boards in 28-34 ft. of water.

On LOW the water is stained and probably doesn't bother them as much. Also, I think it is probably more widely used on LOW because the charters do and guys have followed to rig them on their own boats. There are none on Mille Lacs(charters) and the guys with downriggers rigged on their boat are not as prevalent or standard in the Mille Lacs area.

I run downriggers on LOTW in the summer with great success so a couple years ago I said why not Mille lacs? Not a single bite! Why? I don't know but the theory that it is the clearer water of ML vs the stained water of LOTW makes sense to me. One other thing I can think of is speed. The fish in ML tend to go for slower bait speeds were they can check the bait out better and LOTW fish tend to be more aggressive as a rule. Again this probably goes back to the water clearity. Just a thought.

Good points guys, Thanks!

Just troll crankbaits with the line counting reel and you will be mighty happy!

I have seen and heard of a few riggers out there, not many though. I think the depth (don't need to use riggers) and the water clarity are the primary reasons.

Depth is not the only reason for downriggers as many people think. The reason for downriggers is to put your bait at the exact depth you want. That can be 20' or 120' it makes no difference. eg. you can put and SR5 down 20" and KNOW your lure is running at 25-26" This is much more difficult to do with 120' of line out running a DHJ as there are so many variables to take into account.

Back to Mille Lacs. I do think it is a water clarity issue. I have said enough.

I agree that downriggers give you really precise depth control, but with the depths at Mille Lacs I think you can get the same thing with line counters and super lines, and with lead core. The key is finding what works and then repeating it.

I agree 100%. ML is not the place for downrigging. longlining is a much better choice. As big as ML is there is allot of depth changes. You can go 5+ miles on LOTW with only a 1-3" depth change so the goal is covering allot of water until you find fish then working that exact depth. This is were downrigging is the way to go. Just do not have this on ML.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• jiggin9
      Thanks for the info.  I searched before and after this thread for any old threads on this topic.  I got nothing before and this thread is the only one that pops up after.  I will keep looking online or stop at one of the big box stores.    Tight lines. 
    • CaptJohnWis
      J-Roy,  I use UL rod and 4 lb a lot when throwing jigs. I have found that the lighter the jig head, the more fish bite and the more you hook. Wind will mess up using light jigs though. When fishing heavy jigs, cranks, top water or spoons, I use heavier line and rod. If fishing weeds need heavy line as well.   Hook ups/bites is much higher with lite jigs. I missed about 50% of hits yesterday using 1/2 oz head. Landed about 90% of hits a few days ago when using 1/8 oz head. Tough to fish 1/8 oz on even 8 lb line so I stick with 4 lb .
    • DJ_Slick
      oops - duplicate post.
    • DJ_Slick
      We've got the old Lakemaster chip in our Lowrance 10" unit (circa 2008-ish, I think).  The Lowrance is the generation before the HDS, but I forget the exact model.  Since getting that Lakemaster chip, Lakemaster was bought by Humminbird and their chips are now only compatible with Humminbird  units.  You might be able to find a used chip somewhere, but be sure it's from before the Humminbird acquisition.   Navionics is the only other option for Lowrance that I know of. Regardless, there have been several 1-foot soundings done in the recent past, so be sure that whatever you get has that level of detail and you should be satisfied.   There are several old threads on GPS chips for LOTW...use the search box at the upper right of your browser and type in "LOTW chip" (without the quotes).
    • J-Roy 1969
      Also noticed or heard you say your using 4 lb. test line. Is that correct?? We used 10-12 mono and 15  flouro.  We sure love this lake. Can't sleep for next three weeks waiting to head up there LOL
    • J-Roy 1969
      ago ·  Hey guys, I'm new to this site. Trying to learn more about this lake. My brother and I fished there last July 9-16-2016. We did good on all species, especially like and walleye. We had several rallies on smallmouth, but never put a solid pattern together. My brother had a 4 and 5 lber. On perch shad rap. I caught many 1-1/2 - 3 lbers on uvibe speed craws. Suspending jerkbaits caught all species well. I've been checking this site and Mr. Johnwis has some great info and video. If any of you out ther could help us get on them big smallies, we would greatly appreciate it. We're from southwest Louisiana and we'll be staying at island view lodge July 22-29 . Thanks and this is a great site    
    • J-Roy 1969
      Hey guys, I'm new to this site. Trying to learn more about this lake. My brother and I fished there last July 9-16-2016. We did good on all species, especially like and walleye. We had several rallies on smallmouth, but never put a solid pattern together. My brother had a 4 and 5 lber. On perch shad rap. I caught many 1-1/2 - 3 lbers on uvibe speed craws. Suspending jerkbaits caught all species well. I've been checking this site and Mr. Johnwis has some great info and video. If any of you out ther could help us get on them big smallies, we would greatly appreciate it. We're from southwest Louisiana and we'll be staying at island view lodge July 22-29 . Thanks and this is a great site
    • LoisBrowder
      So, funny pictures!
    • ZachD
      In my eyes anywhere on the Rum is great for smallies. So far this year everytime I have been out the levels have been great even after all the rain we had just had to wait a couple days and the water was great. I put in at the Anoka fair grounds and travel up river
    • ZachD
      (Too much mercury may affect a child’s behavior and lead to learning problems later in life.) That would explain some of the backwoods people     All jokes aside I would limit it to one serving a month for being pregnant or breast feeding for Bass, Catfish, Trout, Walleye, northern like they say   "Young children (under 15 years old) and fetuses are more sensitive to mercury. Too much mercury can cause lasting problems with understanding and learning. But studies show children benefit developmentally when moms eat fish low in mercury during pregnancy. "   Just because you are not glowing doesn't mean its necessarily healthy for a fetus it takes awhile for it to build up in a healthy adult that's just my           Methylmercury exposure in Wisconsin: A case study series” (2005)
      This articles describes exposure of 14 people who at fish two times a week or more and one person who ate no fish. "Three of the individuals reported vague subclinical symptoms such as mental confusion, sleep difficulty, balance problems, or visual disturbances, which improved after their mercury levels returned to