Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FL SNIPER

How are the fish biting?

10 posts in this topic

Thinking of a possible trip up to the big V (east end) next weekend (16th) and wondering how the fish are biting? Anyone having success? I'm not looking for your spots just a general idea of how the action has been and what depths/structure is key to target on right now. Thanks guys!

FL,

The walleye bite has been slow the past few days but we are still catching a few fish each day.

We iced 8 fish today in 24' to 26' of water.

most of them on small jigs baited with crappie minnows or a minnow head.

We also caught a couple of fish on tip-ups and sucker minnows.

Cliff

So a pretty similar bite to a few weeks ago, eh? Still targeting edges of reefs I assume? Do you find that the eye fishing picks up on Vermilion as we near the end of the season...so it can only get better???

Thanks for the reply Cliff. FL

Its been a bad year for myself. Im about ready to throw in the towel!

FL,

Very similar to the past couple of weeks. Still targeting the bases of steep drop-offs.

I have a couple of 12 foot sand flats that I want to get to but have not had time to try them this tear. Last year We did very well there!

Usually the bite does get much better close to the end of the season!

Cliff

Have the day off tomorrow and am coming up from Hibbing. First off, are you still able to drive out from Mckinley Park and would the 25 feet mark be a good spot to set up for a few hours. Thanks.

All of our fish this week have come out of 24' to 26' of water.

Cliff

Went out from the campground today and fished from 9-1:30. We had two very light bites and nothing else. We were in about 25 feet. Even though we did not fair too well on the catching fish part of the trip, it was nice to get out and relax for a few hours.

As you all can see this is my first post. I have been on the site for a couple of years but just never had a question because someone had already asked it and it had been answered. My family has had a place in Greenwood Bay for about 6 years now and I am heading up this weekend. Haven't been there in a few. Is the ice getting thick enough where I will need an extension for my auger?

Neptune,

Welcome to FM/HSO!

You will not need the extension yet. There is around 27" to 30" of ice now.

Cliff