Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Write-Outdoor

Fishapalooza on Forest Lake

58 posts in this topic

Hey there everybody...as you probably know the big Fishapalooza is on for February 16th on Forest Lake's lake one right by downtown Forest Lake.

Who is planning on going? Who has some advice on the best strategies to fish? What size fish do you think will win the whole thing?

This is not the Golden Rainbow ice fishing contest that used to be on Forest Lake. This one is brand new and has over $170,000 in prizes for the top 104 places plus raffles.

Ron, didn't see your name on the winner's list at Gull, maybe you'll top the leader board at Forest?

Good luck. Wish I could give some advice.

Are you doing the fishing classes again this spring? Shoot me an email some time, long time no chat!

I"ll be out but not planning on fishing the contest. My prediction is a northern in the 4-5 pound range will win it. Course there are always those years where you have an anomoly and someone catches a huge carp to win it all. I'd look to stay near the edges, try and find yourself a spot in the 12-14' range and run a shiner and tip up. Bring a noodle rod or spring bobber rod to fish for pannies. Should find the crappies in the 15-18' range. Perch can be had almost anywhere and the sunfish will likely be in the 8-10' range. Small jigging spoons like a forage minnow tipped with minnowhead or grubs/euro. Good luck out there!

Tunrevir~

there's a good thread in the East Central Lakes forum on the contest with lots of updated information too. Good luck and I will be out there!

I will also be out there too. C-yalls and good luck

I'll be up north doing some fishing and hopefully some sledding as well, good luck to all who go!

Hello all,

My strategy for the Fishapalooza event will be to get on the perimeter, and get stinky !! I'll do anything I can do to separate my bait from the 1000's of other baits in the area.... Oops, did I just gice it away??? Looking forward to it...see y'all out there ...

Hello all,

My strategy for the Fishapalooza event will be to get on the perimeter, and get stinky !! I'll do anything I can do to separate my bait from the 1000's of other baits in the area.... Oops, did I just gice it away??? Looking forward to it...see y'all out there ...

I think I'm seing doubles...

Anyone no of any close parking close to the lake to walk your stuff over? This is a shotgun start correct? Why would they do that with 1000s of people. Its going to be choas! All well i guess, i will still be there

shakojdub1425 -- We're not doing the shotgun start. You'll be able to go out onto the ice starting at 9am to pick and reserve holes.

Check the Fishapalooza web site for details.

there is parking behind the laker bar and grill, get there early because it will be full hours before the start.otherwise there is plenty of street parking but you will have to walk a bit.

Yo Shako,

The shotgun start has been changed for purpose of safety for all. Now you can enter the area at 9 am and get to your holes, check depth, etc. No lines in the water from 11:40 to noon. Then at noon they'll signal the start of the contest. Gonna be a lot of fun...

Brule,

That entire parking lot behind the Laker will be shut down, and accesible only to the busses droping people off. If you go to the official website (listed above) they list a couple of parking options. I know in previous years, there's been cars parked for blocks up N Shore Trail... They start letting people in to the fishing area at 9 am...

da-chise31---I didn't make the leaderboard up on Gull but that's okay....I'm too busy covering the event as media that I get in a total of an hour of fishing I think. In all the years I've done it I've only caught one stinking fish...but it's because I don't fish the perimeters because I need to be close to the action.

Some fish get caught in the middle during these contests, but the edges seem to be the best.

On Forest a few years ago the winner was surfing six feet below the ice and picked up a very nice (winning!) northern pike. Remember that the fish will be in the entire water column....just don't bring your underwater cameras! They are not allowed in the Fishapalooza

The final meeting for Fishapalooza went down yesterday afternoon at the F.L. VFW, and everything has come together. The volunteers are stoked, the ice is aplenty, and the weather looks to be on our side. Bring the kids....and make a day of it !!

I look forward to meeting some FMers on the ice !

I'm ready and excited. Can't wait for the fishing to start.

That sounds a lot safer and better to me to not have a shotgun start... I think it would be insane to have thousands of people running to a hole!! Could you imagine lol! Sounds good thanks for the response i will see all you guys out there.

Oh yea one more question, you can buy tickets to the fishplooza at the lake on the day of the tourney correct? thanks

Shako,

The tickets are definitely available on the ice the day of... Or at one a few local establishments before then (Mike's Bait on 8, the VFW, Gander Mt, Friar Tuck's, etc.).

I was just reading through the rules and wanted to know your take on bringing in a few beverages in a cooler and some lunch due to not wanting to compete with the crowds and loose fishing time? Someone told me to expect like 10,000 people thats crazzy competition for a brew

Muddpuppy - Carry in food and beverage is strongly discouraged.

Please remember that this is largely a charitable event. Non-profit organizations such as the Forest Lake VFW, the Lions, Wishes-and-More, and the Boy Scouts are the ones benefiting from the sale of food and beverage at the event.

Fishapalooza makes no profit off of the sales of food or beverage.

The Forest Lake VFW will be pulling around 8 - 10 sleds selling beer at the event for a very reasonable price. Money they make from beer sales ends up helping a group of people we support whole-heartedly, our veterans. Whether it's a WWII vet getting a visit from Meals-on-Wheels or vets coming back from Iraq that need medical help, money from this event will help them. I'll stop short of listing all of the charities we are helping with our food and beverage policy, but rest assured, there are plenty of them.

Long story short.... It's discouraged, not banned.

Thank you.

Loogie

I am fully aware of all the charities involved. It is nice to see you are as well! I did not mean to come accross as a cheap-### that was not my intention. There will be plenty of money spent before and after fishing. My question was more of eveyones take on during the event. you said there will be like 10 beverage sleds out and I read that too but that is like 1 sled per 1000 people you could be waiting awhile and that is why I asked. Thank you for your thoughts and input!

Thanks eyestalker!

Will they be selling soda, hot chocolate, etc? I'm not a drinker but love the hot choc while ice fishing.