Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2 DA GILLS

Panfish - What depths?

6 posts in this topic

I know many people are not interested in giving out specifics on where they are catching fish. Maybe people will be willing to share depths to help people narrow down the search. Since this can be a transition period for the panfish, what depths are people finding their panfish right now?

Bluegills - ?

Crappies - ?

Perch - ?

I had no luck last weekend for the three listed above, so I can't even contribute right now. I can tell you that the largemouth bass are biting in 15 to 18 feet. I probably catch one, maybe 2 largemouths a year through the ice and I caught 2 last Sunday alone and lost one at the ice as well. Strange day for me. I have heard reports of the gills being shallow on some lakes. I probably need to move my search - I think I have been too deep.

I have been seeing a good bite up shallow for gills and some nice perch I have also been catching bass in the 15-18 fow range as well the I had been cacth'n gills crappie and perch in 30-35 fow till last weekend though there are still some there most have relocated (but not far) in 7-10 fow not sure what the cold front thats coming will do to that bite yet ????

From what it sounds like, its gonna be coooold this weekend. Fishing will pretty much comepletely drop off except for the brave few who are wiling to go out and chase em around. No thank you, i'll deal with crowds, i'd rather be warm

There are both deep and shallow bites happening right now. For the deeper fish, look to 30 - 35' and for the fish in shallow water, look to 8 - 12'.

If I am after gills of quality size, would it best to start searching deep or is it completely lake dependent? I am interested in quality and not quantity right now, but when I have limited time to get out - I not had much success so far.

Start deep.