• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up the weekend of 17 Feb. Can anybody give me some info about fishing this lake?? Looking for anything that bites lure selection, baits depth etc. Also is this a disignated trout lake?/.

What about driving. I guess you kind of know what I am looking for.>>>later the load

Only stream trout lakes are designated trout lakes. But of course you need a stamp to fish for lakers, which by the way will be about the only thing you'll catch in the winter time. I find it weird that it's such a good walleye lake in the summer, but they seem to disappear in the winter.

As far as catching trout. I'd start out in the 40 to 80 ft range. I put my tip in the deeper water and suspended a frozen cisco anywhere from 10 to 20 ft off bottom. As far as jigging goes, I liked using 1/2 to 3/4 ounce bucktail jigs...I prefer white and/or blue. Last year I used rainbow chubs, but shiners work very well too. Word of advice on the bait...buy it before you get to grand marais, I don't know what the deal is with the bait stores up there, but the minnows have the POOREST survival rate I have ever experienced. A vexilar is a must! Lakers will be anywhere from on the bottom to 3/4 of the way up to the ice. Like I said earlier though, lakers are about the only thing biting in the winter...MAYBE, just maybe you'll hook into an eel pout, but that's about it.

Good luck and be sure to post your results.

I was there a few weeks ago and took the sled out. The snow was pretty deep. The sluch wasn't that bad then. Small spoods seemed to be the key for lakers. Try and tip them with minnow heads or full fatheads. We set up in 35-40 fow.

Can you drive to the lake with a truck and unload there or do you have to sled in?

This is off the subject a little, but has anyone seen the pic of the biggest lake trout to come out of gunflint in the gunflint pines restaurant? It was caught in like 1920 or so...does anyone know how big that trout was?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

JB, I haven't seen that Lake Trout.

Load, as said you'll be fishing for lake trout.

Give me a ring some time.

Thanks stf-thinking about a grand marias trip toward the end of the month-have never been there and will be going with a guy that has a hard time gettin around due to a past accident. we'll probably be using his argo cause he can't do a sled very well-it beats him up pretty bad and i don't know if he could move on day 2 so i maybe lookin for more advice soon.

It's a pretty neat pic. Says the guys' name and date the fish was caught, but nothing about a weight or length. If I had to guess I'd say at least 30 pounds!

Just got home from Gunflint. We were able to drive anywhere on the lake. Left the sleds at the resort. Had luck with tip-ups described earlier in the post and jigging various baits. I'm not sure what the snow and wind will do to the lake after this weekend. I'd call where ever you're staying and ask them on conditions. Good luck and be sure to let us know how you do....

JB, I got in touch with the resort. They don't have a weight for it, but said it's 36-37 inches long and 10 inches deep. Wish there was an actual girth measurement, but if it's 10 inches from top to bottom it's at least 23-25 in girth.

If it's 36 inches long with a 25-inch girth, that calculates to approximately a 28 lb laker (using the girth X girth X length divided by 800 formula). Biggie for sure, but I know one HSO/FMer with one a bit bigger from Gunflint Lake on his wall at home. Not me. grin.gifgrin.gif

We may be headin towards Grand Marias Feb 22 if we can find a room. I have checked the Grand Marias site for lodging and was wonderin if there was someplace i could look to find something closer to fishin lake up the gunflint. I know its short notice but if we can't find anything for that weekend we are lookin atthe 7th thru the 10th

Geez, 28 pounds, that's a biggy! I caught a 9 pounder out of gunflint last winter and almost wet myself.

hookset, you can go to trout lake. Much smaller lake and probably the closest lake to town with trout. Decent numbers, alot of eater size fish. Has lot's of rainbow trout too. I believe the resort on that lake is open in the winter time as well...they might even rent out shacks. Anyway, you go about 12 miles up the trail and turn on forest road 140 (there will be a resort sign), trout is about another 5 miles down the road. You'll also drive pass mink and kimball lakes, good stream trout action there.

Thanks JB -i'll try to get ahold of them today. Wow -couldn't even amagine pullin up a 28 lber- you'd probably have to jump start me if hooked something like that.

Will be on gunflint on the 22nd thru the 25th. If you see a couple guys running around in an argo stop and say hi. Is there any preferred lures or baits i should get before hand or is it spoons, bucktail, tubes, and what type of minnows for tipups?

Pretty much all the jigs you named off will do the trick, I prefer white, but silver and blue and chartreuse are good to. Shiners or frozen cisco on your tip up.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

hookset 31, type in Gunflint trail in any search engine and you'll find all the resorts on Gunflint Lake. Give them a call.

The WGL 7 Jigging Rap would be in my box on any Laker trip, especial Gunflint. #6-7 Pimples and 1/4 oz Go Devils can come along too.

Get chubs and use half to tip your lures. I use smelt on my tip-ups. Did so for many years till one year ciscos out did the smelt. I was sold on ciscos, till I wasn't getting diddly on the tip-ups. I'm back to smelt.

Dress warm, it'll be a long ride on the Argo.

Thanks for the advice. We will bring smelt and cisco and some shiners for the tipups so we got all the bases covered. We Are staying at the pines, will post you're results when we get back.

Make sure you order the walleye chowder at the restaurant while your there...that is YUMMY EXTREME!!!

Originally Posted By: JBMasterAngler
Make sure you order the walleye chowder at the restaurant while your there...that is YUMMY EXTREME!!!

I have heard that from a number of folks. LOVE fish chowder, though pike tends to hold together in chowders better than walleye. But I GUESS I can try it if I can get back up there. I'm willing to take one for the team. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif