Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riverrat56

Few Questions for everyone

14 posts in this topic

I've been up to Red a few times in the past always in rental houses, I'm coming up again and staying a rental sleeper but would like to get away from the crowds a few mornings.

First question, can I make it off road in four wheel frive pick-up? I've got no four wheeler or sled.

Second question, I like to hole hop but usually fish on small flats or small pieces of structure, puting holes every ten yards or closer even. On Red, a big bowl, how far do you guys spread out your holes when hole hopping?

And last, sorry.......But do I need an extension?

1. Should be able to drive around ok if you watch out for the big drifts.

2. We go only about 10 feet, because we have hammered them out of one hole in the house and any other holes-even 3 or 4 feet away we couldn't get a thing.

3. It's getting close to needing an extension. Some spots where the ice is stacked up you will need it.

I gotta say it I just cant stop myself. But..... how hard is it to bring a 1 foot piece of metal to Red Lake on every occasion. What if you fish the rough ice and need a little more than your normal setup? guess what.....?..you'll need your extension. Sorry I had to. Not trying to be hard on ya! Have fun.

Why does this question bother you so bad?? Just move on to the bext topic if you don't have anything to contribute. Maybe he doesn't own an extension and rteally doesn't want to buy one if he doesn't need it. Or maybe his buddy he is meeting on the lake has an auger with an extension and he doesn't have to bother bringing his regular length auger becuase it is too short.

Really --- just get over yourself.

The reason it strikes a nerve is last year it was asked several times daily and about 30% of my phone calls where asking about an exstension.

As for driving on the ice after this last storm it tough going off the road, some drifts in wide open county are hitting three feet deep on the north shore and where a road or fish house was it is a solid 30" deep.

you are the wicked one. Did you read the whole post. I am trying to tell him that even if there is not 3 ft of ice he may still need it for the rough ice. THAT'S WHAT I HAVE TO CONTRIBUTE!! Just trying to help him out. Have a bad day at work or what??? WEEEEEEWWWWW!!!!

maybe this time of yr should put a message on top of this thread saying bring your exstensions.

You may have problems going off road. Watch for the drifts and you should be ok. Up at LOW there were some drifts that were 3 feet, and on the way back in I think I saw one that went 4 feet. Thats a lot of snow.

I actaully made one up and did sticky it to the top but the upgrade ate it.

Based on the drifting when I left the lake early Sunday morning, unhook any wheelhouse and drive around FIRST!!!

If you have access to chains or if you were thinking of buying some and you are heading up, I strongly recommend to do so.

My house had sat on the lake for 2 weeks so the drifting was 3 1/2 to 4 feet on 3 sides. The only side I was able to access still had over a foot of snow. I stamped down tracks in the snow as wide as i could and then put on my chains. As it turns out, if i didn't put on my chains prior to moving the house........we still might be shoveling!!!

Good times!

Been a couple years since off-road meant chains.

Wonder how many I vehicles i will be watching this year rockin back and forth in a feeble attempt to move and then give up, watch 2 to 4 doors open and shovels appear.......nothin quite like URL

Bring a # 2 shovel or spade shovel. Do not bring a plastic snow shovel or a snow shovel. I have picked up three broken plastic snow shovels this year. I guesss when they break there no sense taking them home so they are thrown out on the spot? If you break your shovel please throw it in the dumpster or take it home.

why would you ever go to URL or LOW in FEB without an extention?

be prepared if your going to spend that much in gas to get there and back. Auger extention 24.95-- asking someone to drill holes for you priceless. just having a little fun with ya! good luck

snow shovels? Forget it. A grain scoop with a lotta spine.

An extension? Don't leave home without it. Any time of the ice season.

thats what i put in my truck is a nice metal grain scoop.i got 1 in my truck at all times and i leave another 1 in my fish house.cant beat them.