Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BowOut

Kawishiwi river south of White Iron Lake

4 posts in this topic

I am planning several day trips during an up coming summer trip to the Ely area.

I am anticipating that someone may be able to provide me with information regarding the conditions of the Kawishiwi river between the dam at State Route 1 north to White Iron Lake. I am very familiar with the area where the river enters White Iron; but I have no idea of the conditions upstream to the south. My son had quite a catch and release experience two years ago and now at age nine he is begging for a chance to repeat the experience.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, BowOut

“...glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in.”

Aldo Leopold

Hey BowOut, welcome to FM. Great to have you here. grin.gifgrin.gif

I've fooled around along shore down from the dam on the river but haven't run or fished that stretch from a boat/canoe. However, it fluctuates quite a bit depending on how much water the power company is allowing through the dam.

No doubt you'll get more useful specific information from others here.

Thanks for the welcome stfcatfish.

I have been watching the site for years and through folks like you Steve, I felt that I could count on some feed back about the feasability of exploring this stretch with my son. He is past the point of fishing off the dock or weed beds and is now very excited about adventuring into areas like this and has the ability to deal with being shut out or simply enjoying the journey rather than having to catch fish one after the other. In addition he has learned to enjoy some fine fresh eaters and return everything else (including the trophy catch and release I indicated in the previous post)for someone else. I would just like him to have the same opportunities that I did to learn how to enjoy the out of doors.

Your information regarding the power company's water release rate is noted and appreciated.

Thanks again,

BowOut

My pleasure, BowOut. Wish I knew more, but someone else no doubt will.

It's great that your boy is chomping at the bit for a bigger experience. He'll never forget the trip.

My first trip to the Ely area was going on 20 years ago, and it's what cemented the idea that this was where I wanted to live.