Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
D4 Army

ATVs legal on Big Lake (Echo trail)?

8 posts in this topic

It's my favorite lake in the summer so we're going to try it on ice. Is it ok to use 4 wheelers there or is it part of the national forest?

It is part of the National Forest, but not part of the BWCAW. As to on the lake itself, I would have to think that you could go anywhere you could go with boat and motor. As to off of the lake, I don't know of any trails in that area that would be ATV legal except for your own trails on private land.

what about going out from the landing?

Can't see where that would be a problem. Haven't been up there, but assume the snow conditions are similar to other lakes - for the most part pretty good.

D4, on lakes within the national forest that have public landings, like the one on Big Lake, it's OK to drive the ATV out on the lake using the public landing, you just can't drive it anywhere else on land there, according to the U.S.F.S.

Thanks a lot guys. Maybe we'll go to lake Jeanette too and give it a try.

about one foot or more of ice never cracked oncedriving my truck out there....not many ppl out but there was a couple holes here and there...i think it might have been my boss though. I worked at Big lake wilderness lodge there and its a great lake in the summer! but really strugglign to find some walleye right now up there...

you can drive a snowmobile or atv outside of the BWCAW. Like up on Snowbank you can drive right to the line then walk into to BWCAW part of the lake.