Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chester-MN

Typo lake traditional ice conditions

12 posts in this topic

This is the Typo that lays just north of Linwood lake in East Bethal/Wyoming.

I really am just looking to see if it is a lake with the history of people driving on it or if people leave trucks at the access so I know what to bring and what I should leave home. I'd hate to find out the hard way that people drive around certain parts (or not at all) of the lake because of traditionally unsafe ice conditions.

I was wondering the same thing about his lake. Has anyone drivin by it lately? Curious to see if anyone has a recommendation on where not to drive.

It is part of the sunrise river and always has curent I never have or would drive it also is full of carp .

Thanks Blarkey.

Muddy lake,would not even bother to drop a line in it! Many better options up in that area.

Nice call, I totally agree. I grew up around there and always considered Typo a pond; it's funny to see all the interest in it lately.

A friend of mine and his kids go out there once in awhile, they catch alot of wally out of that lake. I have never fished it though.

Years ago, (I mean back in the 60's and 70's) people discovered Typo. Back then it was a great little lake for panfish and the odd walleye. However, over the years like so many metro lakes it has been fished out. I don't think anyone fishes it anymore. At least not seriously. Their may be a stray crappie or sunfish in their but they will probably be very stunted. After the panfish declined the carp and suckers too over.

Not that I am against carp. They fight hard and properly prepared can be as tasty as walleye. But it would be nice to see the lake closed down for a few years to let the panfish and other species come back a bit.

I fished this lake last year and caught a few eyes in it. They were small but fun to catch. The DNR used it as a rearing pond and that was why there was some eyes in there. Sounds like some people are trying to keep others away from it.

Originally Posted By: Neiko
The DNR used it as a rearing pond and that was why there was some eyes in there.

It isn't nor was it ever a rearing pond. The DNR actually stocks it on purpose for walleye fishing. Why I don't know. Apparently they found some one year that had swam up from Martin. Last, and only, time I was out there I churned mud with the small boat I was in. All I found was 4 feet of water.

its more of hunting lake than fishing.

It was a great little walleye lake at one time until everybody started flapping there lips about it and they fished it out. Taking there limits out of it every day ,it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that it wont last long!