Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nilsfisher

Spectacle Lake (between cambridge and princeton)

17 posts in this topic

Has anybody had any luck ice fishing spec lake in the winter?

I used to fish it a bunch in the summer but haven't tried ice fishing it yet, I usually would go to green which is right next to it. Pretty much just wondering if its worth going there or sticking to green.

I fished crooked in andover sunday and didn't get anything, I was using gulp! waxies and was graphing tons of fish but no bites.

hoping to hit spec sunday so maybe that will be better.

Never ice fished it,but I know from open water that it is your bass/panfish typical lake with some pike and walleye mixed in.One word is it has very clear water,so low light periods would be prime time.

Thanks for the info bassphish.

I think spec is a great lake in the summer for pannies but it gets a lot of boat traffic in the summer since it is such a clear lake. I grew up around the isanti/cambridge area but moved to coon rapids and pretty much fish the local lakes (crooked, coon, ham lake and green)

this is a great website. I've been observing it for the past 6or so months but only got a chance today to finally get a username.

I fish this lake a lot in the spring and summer... In the winter, i fish it every once in a while... Average winter panfishing lake in my opinion.

Glad to have you on board Nilsfisher. Hope to hear some great things from you. This is a great site with a ton of information. I am sure you have already noticed that beings you have been checking for a while now.

I myself have never fished Spec, but one of my cousins lived right near the lake for a couple years and fished it pretty regularly in the summer. Like you guys have already said, pretty good for pannies in the summer.

I'll be out there sunday to give it a shot and report what happens.

Till then....Fish on

I caught a few decent sunnies there in the summer, nothing over 7.5 but some keepers (you had to sort through them, like all lakes). I thought it was a pretty decent pike lake and would definately be worth putting up a few tip ups.

I've been thinking of heading out there soon. Maybe I'll head out Sunday. If I go earlier I'll give ya a report.

Where do you think you will go? I thought maybe the area out from the beach would be good, or the long holes on the north side.

I was going to try and get out there about 9am (depending on my brother in st. francis) I was thinking of trying northeast from the public access, there are a couple holes along the weed edge, otherwise probably opposite the public beach on the west side. I was going to try and stay away from the big crowds though (too much competition with 50 lines in the water)

stop on by, I'll be in a clam 5600 with a nils master hand auger outside the door.

its gonna be cold.

Dang, I was thinking of going today after work. But I forgot I have to get the kids off the bus and care for them since mom is with G-ma in surgery. Hopefully I can get out. It looks like we were kndof targeting the same areas. Good luck.

cold smold:) heater+icehouse=bahamas

I'm going to probably be out in prior lake saturday, otherwise for sure sunday at spec.

Nils,

Just because you can get the kitchen pass all weekend (every weekend) to go fishing, doesn't mean you need to rub it in to the rest of us who are less fortunate.

Quit being a Turd Ferguson!

Juan,

when is your next kitchen pass available? any for next weekend?

"and you wrote threeve, a combination of three and five, and you wagered, texas with a dollar sign in front of it, I'm speechless"

I went out Yesterday, Saturday. I went on the left west side of the Land point where the landing is. There is a little 15 foot inside bend that comes in.

I started with 5 holes heading deeper.

1. 7 ft - caught a decent bluegill, but it got off 1 inch out of the water, so I didn't get a measurement.

2-4. Nothing

5. 12 ft -caught a pumkinseed and since I was with the kids I thought deeper water might be a little better for numbers.

So I drilled a few holes and set up the eskimo QF 3, the heater, and got the kids lines in the water. Now that they were set up I decided to play around. I began dropping my Aquaview down to check it out as this is a very clear lake. Out in 12 feet the bottom was covered with about 1 foot high weeds that look like mini weeping willow trees, (sort of, that my best description).

Anyway, I could see pumkinseed sunnies all over, not huge numbers, but 10-15 as I spun the camera. They were pretty space out and not moving very much.

Then I went into holes 2-4. Same weeds, but no sunnies, Just LGMouth Bass. Lots of them. I made a 1/4 turn with the camera and counted 7 withing six feet (guess) of the camera. They were not shy either. 2 of them came right up to the camera and were staring right into the lense just inches away. I was pretty fun to see.

The kids didn't do to well on the sunnies though. nothing to keep, and They were not very aggressive.

So I decided to move. I drove down to just out from the beach. I didn't find any fish on my camera and I think it just dropped of to fast into too deep of water. Its cool though with a camera when you can spin it and on one side you are looking uphill and on the other side you can't see the floor.

Overall the fishing wasn't too good, but It was fun and hopefully I learned some useful information.

The Ice was at least 2 feet thick, probably more.

One more thing about the clarity. In 12 fOW you could sight fish and see your jig, the weeds, and the fish all the way down.

Good luck and let us know how you did!

well, I braved the elements and went out to spec. I got out on the lake about 9am and tried to set up my 5600 with a 35mph wind.

I first augered a hole and checked the vex and said 15 ft so I decited to set up. the 5600 is not a good house to be setting up with wind blowing that fast.....I said this was nuts and I moved toward the public landing to where the point blocked most of the wind.....augered another hole and 8 ft. of water....weeds stuck to my auger....I said forget this.

I'm not giving up on that lake yet, I'll try it next weekend.

minnows and waxies......$3.00

gas to fill up truck from 1/4 tank........$55.00

watching me from shore trying to set up ice house in 35mph wind and almost being blown away......priceless.

Quote:
cold smold:) heater+icehouse=bahamas

I guess your plane didn't take off!

it wasn't that it was cold, I was fine with that, its just the wind. It was hard for me (by myself) to set it up. I had my ice house tied off with the tow rope but the poles in the house were bowing too much and I didn't want something to break or bend.

I have my ice house set up so the canvas is always attached to the poles and all I have to do is go inside and pretty much stand up both ends and the canvas goes up with the poles, it only takes about 2 minutes normally to set up but today took about 10 with the wind and when I stepped out of the house to put stuff inside it, the house would pretty much lift about an inch off the ground and move from side to side.

oh, there was not another person on that lake today that I saw.

theres always next weekend.

I fished the lake on Sat. From 9:00am - 4:00pm. Fishing was interesting to say the least. I think I fished or spoke to people fishing almost all of the structural elements on the lake. I drilled well over 200 holes, and for most of the day was the only one fishing the east side of the lake. I ran out of gas for the auger and had to drill a lot by hand.

I spent most of my time fishing the cabage flat east of the landing and did catch a few sunfish, the 20' trench was a waste of time, I did manage a couple of pike on the western shore line in the afternoon. Most people were fishing on that shore to keep out of the wind.

I do think it will take a few trips to figure it out.