• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

125 Miles On A Gravel Road, How Will My Boat Look?

Spazzums08

Is this the reindeer lake near the arctic circle? If so, you'll have fun! Lots of pig northern up there.

Get a kwikpfyt mud flap system. This attaches to your receiver hitch and covers the length of the back of our truck and keeps rocks from flying up and hitting the boat. It is made of stainless steel and then has "brushes" for lack of a better term that block the rocks and gravel from hitting the boat. Do a google search and you will find it. It is spelled weird but that's the name of it. A lot of bass and walleye pros use this product on their tow vehicles.

Dan Jochum

NPAA #269

putting a boat bra on with also help. One of the places i go with my dad in canada has a long pretty bad gravel road and mud flaps and boat bra kept the boat looking perfect, but the trailer still looked horrible, tons of paint chips and small dents. Not sure how to solve the trailer problem, im sure that huge mud flap system with brushes will help with that though.

I'd do a full width brush type rock guard mud flap (we are getting one as well, do a search, there are several types) and what the heck a strip or two of duct tape on the leading edge of the trailer would not hurt. That's a lot of gravel...

Good luck.

Does it really matter????? Every boat needs a couple battle scars. Sounds like the trip will be worth it. If it was too easy to get to, would the fishing be the same?

Originally Posted By: MidCoast
WOW 125 miles on a dirt road... My only advice for you is, DRIVE REALLY SLOW!

Go fast. If you are going fast enough that you truck is floating it will then kick up less rocks grin.gif.

Seriously looking into a full mud flap. I have one but still have dings from the roads in Canada where I go. There are different types of boat bra the one size fits all that goes on the boat is a piece as far as I am concerned. It wouldn't work on my boat. But they do make screen devices don't know what they are called but they attach to your trailer I would look into those as a possible option.

There's a few things that will help. Towtectors and Montana rockguards. Both have web sites. A good cover is essential also.

I nearly did a complete sandblast job of a trailer while duck hunting in Manitoba one year. 50 miles this way on gravel, 50 miles that way on gravel for 6 days. The boat however remained a beutiful shade of duck marsh camo. grin.gif

Make sure you also have a transom saver.The gravel roads have alot of pot holes,and washboards.Thats alot of miles of bouncing trailer.

ALUMA-BEATER! lol thats what we call alumacrafts though I call my lund that too. Its older aluminum so I dont think twice about beaching it on gravel or rubble or big rocks slowly. I also dont mind gravel and rocks dings in it! If nothing else...its always fun being the guy whith a crappiest lookign stuff and ultimatley showing em what your made of. but yeah that brush thingy works great. ive seen it on the guides's trucks up here...

I just checked on a price last night. Make sure you are sitting down. They quoted me $729.00 plus shipping. They had better work for that price.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.